• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water in crankcase

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not the first StSo member with water logged block that was started and worked fine.

Nothing to lose

twisted60

My M1152 came from Albany with about 2qts of water in the engine. I drained and filled with diesel, let it sit overnight then drained it again. Serviced with 6 qts of oil, 2 qts of Molly lube Eng flush and new filter. Ran it 30 min at idle, drained and removed filter. Serviced with fresh oil and new filter. Drove about 100 miles, changed oil and filter again. She’s been running great since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

myimpala1

Thanks for all the input everyone. I apologize for not stating that the intake was on the vehicle and didnt apear to have been off . I am going to drain it, change the filter, check with bores borescope, put in diesel and oil. I may drop the pan and check.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Honestly, if I were you, I would drain everything and pop the glow plugs and leave them out and see if the engine cranks and if it doesn’t I would put a long spanner on it and see if you can turn it manually.

Dropping the pan and all of that is fine if everything else fails. Right now you just need to know if the engine will turn over. You need to pull the glow plugs to release pressure in the cylinders in case the cylinders are full of water. Then spin the engine and if it spins easily, replace the glow plugs and go from there.

Action is a great guy and I agree that dropping the pan would be the next step, however if this engine spins freely, think of all the work you have saved.

Start from the foundation first. An engine that spins is not seized.

IMHO

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Honestly, if I were you, I would drain everything and pop the glow plugs and leave them out and see if the engine cranks and if it doesn’t I would put a long spanner on it and see if you can turn it manually.

Dropping the pan and all of that is fine if everything else fails. Right now you just need to know if the engine will turn over. You need to pull the glow plugs to release pressure in the cylinders in case the cylinders are full of water. Then spin the engine and if it spins easily, replace the glow plugs and go from there.

Action is a great guy and I agree that dropping the pan would be the next step, however if this engine spins freely, think of all the work you have saved.

Start from the foundation first. An engine that spins is not seized.

IMHO
Kroil is your friend, pull the injectors and put Kroil or/our favorite ATF 50/50 miture after draining crankcase.
Give it time passing and see what drains out before you "move" the engine.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kroil is your friend, pull the injectors and put Kroil or/our favorite ATF 50/50 miture after draining crankcase.
Give it time passing and see what drains out before you "move" the engine.
I use Marvel Mystery Oil with great success, BUT Frank is correct and that is the same concept and there is more than one way to skin that cat.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I use Marvel Mystery Oil with great success, BUT Frank is correct and that is the same concept and there is more than one way to skin that cat.
Company that I worked for had machinery that would be "left on the lot" sitting waiting for the next job. Some of that machinery was used for a few weeks, then it would sit again used for pulling wire through stringing blocks. Those motors would be field prep'd with MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil. Warm (not hot) up the motor and gas engines got MMO down the carb. Diesels were similar, but into the glow plug ports then crank it again for smoke effect.

We managed to crank and have "happy trucks" that way and "open to the air" cylinders were found to be in good condition with that protection...

That stuff can be magic in the right hands!

myimpala1

Ok so where I am at now is. 5 gal of clean water removed from pan. Now at almost 2 gal of milky white sludge. I am thinking about filling with diesel and pulling glow plugs next to see if I can get it to turn.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try to pull it by hand first to see if it moves. That amount of water is a really bad sign.

Mark

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you tried to turn the engine, that is a lot more than a "couple quarts" .
Also where are you going to "scope" it, the pre-cups will prevent you from seeing squat.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not the first StSo member with water logged block that was started and worked fine.

Nothing to lose
Sorry Tobash, all the Marvel Mystery oil in the world would not have fixed the engine I showed above and I am willing to bet this one is in no better shape.
It takes a LONG time to get that much water into an engine, unless someone used a hose and filled it a week or so before he picked it up there is allot of damage inside that engine, water and machine parts do not mix well.
Now having said that I hope I am wrong but I rarely am...

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would have filled it with diesel as soon as I drained it. If it’s not ruined it will be soon. I would still try to get it running.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks