• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water in engine valley

Barrman

I can look at the blocks in my class next week. But, somewhere around 1992-1994 when they changed over to the 6.5. The drain went from the small hole at the back with no tube to the bigger hole with the tube.

I like the tube because it puts oil, coolant or fuel leaking over to the side instead of inside the bell housing. Both for leak checking and to keep from burning up a clutch disc.

As as far as the leak itself. Coolant can only be coming from the front thermostat housing cross over which includes the thermostat, any sensor ports, heater hose and the actual attachments to the heads on each side or the two rear cross over block offs.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the tube because it puts oil, coolant or fuel leaking over to the side instead of inside the bell housing. Both for leak checking and to keep from burning up a clutch disc.

Clutch in a HMMWV?

Wire Fox

I need to unclog mine, apparently. My 6.5 GEP just holds water in the valley and I've bailed it out once when it rained while I had the hood open. I'm just glad that it apparently has a drain, because i was originally annoyed, thinking it didn't have one.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They drain tube goes down forward of the flywheel and is pinched to clear it.
Then its round again and comes out close to the 2ea. oil hose fittings.

Last edited:

Barrman

No, no clutch in a HMMWV. But thousands of engines from these trucks were sold as surplus. Who knows what they ended up in or might end up in. Someone searching 5 years from now for information about the valley drain might happen upon this thread.

With the older engines valley drain fuel leaking from the IP and running down the back of the block could make people think it is a bad rear main seal. Or cause a clutch to slip. That is why I wrote what I did a few post up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks