• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water in knuckle

Mbsk01

While cleaning alot of the mud of my Deuce after getting it unstuck, I noticed my right side boot had come loose (axle side). I guess it might have gotten knocked loose as it was pulled backwards out of the hole I dug myself.

As I was poking around on it, some water came out from inside the boot. I pulled the boot shield and water came out from inside the knuckle with one of the lower bolts.

What level of maintenance am I looking at to be on the safe side? Nothing? Grease knuckle? Remove, clean, repack bearings?

Westech

CPL
well to do it right you will want to take the knuckle off and clean all the watered up grease out. Really what I have done is get all the grease out by hand I could.. let it all drain for a couple days.. grease the snot out of it and let it sit.. then installed a new boot and added some more grease. Really not the right way and if you going to keep your truck its best to do a tare down.

randyscycle

I'd get in there and do a clean-out and repack were it me, along with new boots and clamps.

Be sure to clean the boots, axle tube and knuckle surfaces really well before installing the new boots and install them dry. That way they won't try to slip off.