• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water in the exhaust pipe!

firefighter_930_aj

:banghead: After getting the electrical system and the brakes on my deuce operational, I took her for a ride. I drove approximately 17 miles to my destination. When I went to start the deuce to come home (truck sat not running for 8 hours), she spewed out "liquid exhaust". As I was driving I noticed that cooland was coming out from the radiator cap( about a pint) The temperature gauge never went above 180-190. about 5 miles into the ride I noticed that it sounded like she wasn't hitting on all six (maybe 4). The temperature gauge has been inspected and it is working properly.

The questions are:

:rolleyes: :sad: Do I look more toward replacing the head gaskets or is the damage a more expensive-type repair?

:shakehead: If it turns out to be just the gaskets will a valve-grind set be enough for the job?

[thumbzup] Thanks in advance for your input. [thumbzup]

One more question and I'll quit for now:

Do I need that special head bolt wrench for the head bolts or will a standard set of 3/4" and 1" drive sockets foot the bill?

Wyattearp

A.J there was someone just a few days ago that did a head gasket repair, they had pictures and everything, i just can't remember whom it was thought...

Wyattearp

Firefighter check out the sticky in this forum at the top which was started by baja power, he did the head gasket replacement, good luck.

bomar76

You are in serious need of a head gasket.
Baja Power and I just did ours and while we took pics it wasn't really a step by step tutorial.
However, I would be glad to post the steps we used to accomplish ours.
You HAVE to have the wrench to do it....or fab one up, and it has to be made right or you will never torque the head correctly and you will be back at square one soon.
A lifting mechanism is a must too. We pulled both heads w/ the intake , turbo, and exhaust manifolds intact and there is no way in hell you can just lift it out.
The MUST HAVE gaskets are the 2 heads. You can RTV Permatex the rest, but I don't really advocate that. We bought a full complete engine set for $140 from Sarafan and it had 8,000,000 gaskets in it...well worth it.

firefighter_930_aj

:hop: Thanks for the speedy replies. You guys provided me with the second opinion I needed!

Bomar76, if you can post the link to the pics that would be great. I'm not a newbie at the overhaul, just haven't done one in awhile. We did one for a local fire department about 6 years ago; I contracted the disease CRS (Can't Remember Sh*t) shortly after that and I haven't worked on one since. :lol: