• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water Injection

Rolling_Eudaimonia

I just think its kinda off the wall some of these stories about how people are gonna turn there multifuel into a DT or Cummins..I highly doubt its gonna happen.

Possible? yes..But i cant even imagine how much sombody would charge for a CUSTOM CAM for a multifuel when people are charging 2-4 hundred dollars for filter systems.

Ud be better off buying a DT or cummins.

Theyd both outperform the Multi like day and night, in stock form and u wouldnt have to worry about melting em down.

Blasphemy! ..but hey id like to hear from the guy with the 300hp reliable multi deuce in this thread...??....?
When I make the truck, I'll tell you about it. I hope to start working on the project this summer. Btu that is what the engine builder is saying 300hp reliably no problem with the LDT-465. He's worked on similar engines for tractors and believes it can be done. At first he was talking insane power ,but than I told him the application and he said 300-325hp would be awesome for a daily driving M35. He also said I was a bit crazy for driving a M35 daily.

mudguppy

... He's worked on similar engines for tractors and believes it can be done. ...
Rolling', this statement is why i think this guy (the expert) is full of it. if he doesn't have experience directly w/ it, i'm not sure i would believe it. you need to remember that these engines were designed almost 50 years ago - not exactly the greatest and sturdiest tech out there...

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Rolling', this statement is why i think this guy (the expert) is full of it. if he doesn't have experience directly w/ it, i'm not sure i would believe it. you need to remember that these engines were designed almost 50 years ago - not exactly the greatest and sturdiest tech out there...
Yeah it is an older design. But let's face it you can turn an older Cummins 855 into a 700hp 2400ft-lbs of torque fire-breathing monster to with the proper modifications. i don't think the block is all that weak. In the 1960's they had this model up to 210hp. I would venture that going to 300hp is doable. I would worried about a 450hp or 600hp conversion but I'm going for a nice stable 250-285hp range engine not much more than the M52A2's with the 210hp LDS models. I think the pressures won't reach critical mass at that hp level. Especially if we back off the compression ratio.

mudguppy

you're right, anything is possible. and, yes, after a good rebuild and several custom pieces (cam, rods, pistons, head studs, intake, exhaust manifold, head mods, etc) i'm sure it will do great.

if you're set on this route and willing to spend the thousands - sweet!! honestly, i'd love to see it!!!

now, not all those things will be required to make 285hp (or any of them?), but you should understand that lowering compression w/out readily available parts to swap in is no small feat. and if you go that far (plus a custom cam), you might as well go all out.

285hp LDT or dt466 - either way, i'm staying tuned...

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The guy may be talking about Oliver tractors. Some of them had the same engine in them minus the multifuel capability.

Lowering compression could be as easy as adding a spacer between the head and the block and longer push rods.

Custom cams aren't as expensive as everybody thinks. I got a cam reground for a 1939 WC Allis Chalmers pulling tractor one time by Lienati Cams (sp?) for $400. A WC high performance cam is just about a one off piece so unusual cams aren't that expensive.

Last edited:

Rolling_Eudaimonia

you're right, anything is possible. and, yes, after a good rebuild and several custom pieces (cam, rods, pistons, head studs, intake, exhaust manifold, head mods, etc) i'm sure it will do great.

if you're set on this route and willing to spend the thousands - sweet!! honestly, i'd love to see it!!!

now, not all those things will be required to make 285hp (or any of them?), but you should understand that lowering compression w/out readily available parts to swap in is no small feat. and if you go that far (plus a custom cam), you might as well go all out.

285hp LDT or dt466 - either way, i'm staying tuned...
Actually guy stated that for a horsepower we could do other things but I was looking for greater reliability and fuel economy and he started to pitch a more radical move.

mudguppy

so, is your engine already IC'd? did you say it was?

...Custom cams aren't as expensive as everybody thinks. I got a cam reground for a 1939 WC Allis Chalmers pulling tractor one time by Lienati Cams (sp?) for $400. A WC high performance cam is just about a one off piece so unusual cams aren't that expensive.
regrinds don't change lobe seperation angle.

Actually guy stated that for a horsepower we could do other things but I was looking for greater reliability and fuel economy and he started to pitch a more radical move.
understand. regardless, i'm :popcorn:

mudguppy

sorry, pigpen' - i was actually asking Rolling' when he said:

.... The truck already has inter-cooler, charged air cooling. ....
from this statement, i don't know if he's talking about his truck or your truck [pigpen'] ?

i know you said already that you were getting ready to start your IC project. i was interested if Rolling's truck was already IC'd - i'd be interested in IC used, pictures, and sourcing. i'm sure you would be, too. :wink:

kc5mzd

On my LDT's the intake air passes through the intake manifold which also has watter passages and hoses going to it. I thought this made them intercooled. I thought all of them were intercooled. I think adding a "radiator" for the intake air makes them "extracooled" or something like that, i forgot the correct word for a external cooler but I thint I am close.

jesusgatos

On my LDT's the intake air passes through the intake manifold which also has watter passages and hoses going to it. I thought this made them intercooled. I thought all of them were intercooled. I think adding a "radiator" for the intake air makes them "extracooled" or something like that, i forgot the correct word for a external cooler but I thint I am close.
No. Extracooler. Haha.

mudguppy

correct terminology is actually "aftercooled."

and i don't believe that the multi has a air/water intercooler - someone else?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
correct terminology is actually "aftercooled."

and i don't believe that the multi has a air/water intercooler - someone else?
The intake manifold on a multifuel does have water circulating through it. Some say it's for cooling the air but others have said it's to warm the air in cold weather. I have thought if you could disconnect the manifold from the engine coolant and add a heat exchanger with a circulating pump and run that through the manifold you could get some cooler air.

Jwaller says his water injection setup does a great job of cooling the intake air and lowering EGT. Maybe he'll chime in.

Rossman

The intake manifold on a multifuel does have water circulating through it. Some say it's for cooling the air but others have said it's to warm the air in cold weather. I have thought if you could disconnect the manifold from the engine coolant and add a heat exchanger with a circulating pump and run that through the manifold you could get some cooler air.

Jwaller says his water injection setup does a great job of cooling the intake air and lowering EGT. Maybe he'll chime in.

That sounds like what GM runs on the LS motors. It's to help warm up the intake in cold weather. On a turbo diesel it should cool it down once the intake temps rise.

As soon as I get back home, I'm putting the coolingmist kit on my duece will see how that and more fuel and boost work out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks