• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water leak at top of M1009 doors

Barrman

The M1009, RED, that Colton built up has M1008 doors on it. The only difference I have ever found is that the M1009 has rubber seals on the top of the door in addition to the cab mounted rubber seal. My M1009 has the door mounted seals. My USAF Suburban does not have the door mounted seals.

3 square body trucks and until this weekend really only RED leaked a few drops onto the driver and passenger during very heavy rain fall. Of course the last few years haven't really been times for heavy rain around here either.

RED has had several times where water will get on the driver from the top of the door. The body mounted seal is contacting the door at all points. There is room to maybe bend the top of the door toward the cab just a bit. I haven't figured out a way to bend it though. It could just be I am too weak. The body part of the door lines up with the rest of the truck just fine.

Yesterday while driving my M1009 in a very heavy down pour, I got the leak too. I figure new cab mounted seals is probably going to help, but is that the answer? Is there a method or way to bend the top of the door frame in?

Thanks.

lostintexas

Barrman, I had the same problem this morning on mine. Seals to make good contact all the way around but this morning the seats were damp. Subscribing to follow.

M1008BOV

I have the same issue with my m1008. Upon close inspection of both doors (passenger side does not leak) I noticed that the top of my drivers door had a larger gap at the top. It shuts fine and all the other gaps look good. A buddy of mine who is an old mechanic said it was common problems with these trucks and to roll the window down, put your knee lower on the inside of the door, grab the top and give it a couple of good yanks inward. Not my ideal solution, but I did it and it definitely helped. The only place during the last couple of rains were a few drops around the vent window. I'm still looking into drip rails or something as a better method to divert the water away completely.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I have another fix for you. Have you checked the door hinge bushings and the striker. If the door is not held tight in the closed position it will move in the opening and cause leaks. I drive a few that bounce around in the door way opening from bad hinge pins and bushings and the striker being worn out with out the bushing on the striker to keep the door tight. A short piece of 1/2" fuel line will fix the striker and the hinge pin bushings are still available from the GM dealer. Try that and see if that improves the dryness inside of your vehicle. I have an M1009 that has an M1008 door on it and I have no inner top seal on the door. That door does not leak but I keep up on the oiling of hinge pins and keep the door in proper adjustment. That is a key factor in sealing the weather out. New door rubbers do help a lot as the others have been pinched shut for 30 tears they lost a lot of the sealing ability. Thank you for looking. Have a nice day.

M1008BOV

LMC shows two screws to hold on the door weatherstrip. Did your truck have holes for screws, or did you drill them?

Barrman

Bending the top will be attempted. I just hesitate to try bending something like that on purpose. Which is why I started this thread.

Both M1009 trucks have had new hinge pins and bushings over the years. The body lines are lined up straight.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

painter paul

Try loosening the top hinge and tip the top of the door in slightly. Use something like a dollar bill closed in the door top to gauge things with. It should be a firm pull but not tear the dollar bill

M1008BOV

My pins and bushings are good too. For some reason my door top was slightly bent out. I did notice that my door was not original to the truck. It has a sticker with a manufactured date of 85 and my truck is an 87 so I believe it was replaced at some time.

KansasBobcat

LMC shows two screws to hold on the door weatherstrip. Did your truck have holes for screws, or did you drill them?
My M1008 has holes for top door seal. Rear hole is 3 inches above head of door handle screw. The hole on the front of the door is 7.5" above top of hole between hinge bolts. You can get the distance from outer edge of door from the new seal. Holes are .116 in diameter for sheet metal screws. Using these holes puts the new seals under tension and they tend to roll inward. I assume they will stretch: the old ones have. Since floor rust at door sills is such a problem with these trucks, the seals seem to be a good investment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks