• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water leaking into cab

svlsmokey

We had our first rain today since I brought the truck home last week. I noticed a trickle of water coming in above the passenger side floor board - on the outside wall. I haven't had time to track it down - has anyone else had this problem or know where to look for it?

And... do the civilian trucks have a rain drip rail over the doors :?:

badgmc56

Trying to seal all water leaks in a MV is a tough task. Best you can do is keep them down to a minimum. Making sure you have drain holes in the right areas is more important. Find the lowest point in the floor pan and drill a drain hole to let water out. Find a rubber plug to fit the hole when fording. Clean the area around the hole and treat with rubberized undercoating to prevent rust. Best way I have found to keep the floor pans solid.

I can almost guarantee it is the foam around the kick panel vents like NPD732 was saying. I redid the interior on one of mine recently. Put in a sunroof that does not leak, but had me thinking it was for the longest time. Right before I installed the carpeting, along with the heatshield material and carpet padding below it, I knew I needed to track it down.
The real hint came when I had stripped down the floor and hit it with some phosphoric acid, and left it parked on a slight incline toward the driver side. It rained and my sunroof was perfectly dry, but there was a trail from the puddle on the passenger side to the kick panel, and no water in the driver side.
I used a strip of 3/8-inch window sealant made by 3M. It's that black tar-like stuff that comes in a flat box, and is coiled with a strip of wax paper to keep it from sticking to itself. NAPA carries it in their paint section. It worked perfectly, and now after the heaviest rains, the floor is still dry.

ctmustang

The clutch in the deuce was killing my bad knee so I picked up an 86 m1009 with 46,000 miles on it about 2 weeks ago and it has rained almost every day since and I have yet to find a leak. It seems awful strange in an mv driving in the rain and not getting soaked while driving like in the deuce and my knee isn't on fire. I Love It so far.
CT

airmech3839

make sure its not the heater core ....but if it is only after a rain then the others have posted good info...

I just put some sealant on my deuce hood hinge cause thats where I get most water entering the cab...my cab is a rust bucket....so I am going to make it better by coating everything in PRC!!! hard yet flexable and can be painted and it sticks to just about everything...including you!!

Warren Lovell

Get in your truck and have your wife, friend, or significant other hose down the truck until you find the leak. Mine was the vent window on the driver side. Kids had a blast trying to soak me. And yes, it still leaks, but floor is POR'd.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks