• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water & Metal Chunks in my M52-A2 transmission

QKA-M35

Hi All,

I recently had the transmission fluid changed out and noted there appeared to be outside water getting into transmission at one time and noted a few good size (1/4") metal chunks.

Thoughts of how water infiltration could have happened and has anyone had experience metal chunks and what could have caused it? Just to clarify, I have no knowledge of the history of this truck or what it's been through other than its 48 years old.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

QKA-M35

What went into the {new stuff} transmission with fluid changeout?
Did you ever change it before?
Have you been using the truck it or has it "sat" and you just then changed the fluid?
The truck sat for a long time. The only time I drove it was from my house to shop which was about 3 miles. I've never changed it before. I have it in the repair shop where my friend is the mechanic. I believe he used 80W90 Gear Oil

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if they can get condensation build up inside over periods of sitting. On my deuce I had serviced the pumpkins with new oil. A year of sitting later there was water in them when I cracked the drain plugs to drain them. Subsequently I changed the vents to tubes going up to the firewall but I have not looked for water since. Truck had not moved so where did the water come from? I had to think condensation coming in thru the vent.

Could be the same for the transmission.

I had broken teeth parts in mine as well. One day I will open her up to see just how bad the damage is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks