• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water/Methanol injection

Bigchevy383

60hp sounds a lil high stock. But it will add more hp. Methanol burns as extra fuel. Water cools intake temps for denser, cooler air. Cold air =more power. When meth burns it creates water which cools egt in addition to the cooler intake air. Id say maybe 25hp. Bump the fuel and turbo upgrade maybe 50-60hp.

Maui6x6

60hp sounds a lil high stock. But it will add more hp. Methanol burns as extra fuel. Water cools intake temps for denser, cooler air. Cold air =more power. When meth burns it creates water which cools egt in addition to the cooler intake air. Id say maybe 25hp. Bump the fuel and turbo upgrade maybe 50-60hp.
I agree, 60 seems a little ambitious and I will really have no way to substantiate it anyway. I'm going to start with the water/meth and see if it improves mpg and "feels" any more powerful. Then maybe turn up the pump and see what happens.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mpg's are very important when running this truck everyday as a tour vehicle. The reason I chose this truck is simple...everyone loves big military trucks, especially riding on one. Typical tour buses are closed in, stuffy, and impersonal. My truck will be open air, awesome, and can run over those buses! I plan on having the cab up front with a/c, stereo, and air ride seat.
If I can even improve my mileage by 1 mpg, it is worth it.
If you improve your fuel consumption by 12% you'll have a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon.

Please please please, get mpg numbers from a large sample size before and after....

I've seen 7-12mpg from stock 939A2s with the 8.3.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Make your own methanol to use or just use water. 55gal bladder or barrel in the back. Make sure if you use pure water to buy the highest pressure pump and smallest nozzles. Always have more than 2 shut off valves as well as a 2 way flow pump from your tank. They are out there. Make sure to suck the feed line dry every day so it can't fill s cylinder up.

https://youtu.be/Yd5vj_6l5XQ

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
would meth-injection work on a multifuel runnin close to 100% WMO?
Hmmmmm.....
I installed a water/methanol injection system on my bobbed M35A2, it works really good. I bought the kit from Alky Control. It's triggered by boost pressure, I have it come on at about 5 psi boost.
So far I have only ran a 1% methanol mixture, I've heard the multifuel engines don't like the methanol, not sure if it's the 22:1 compression or if it's the hypercycle combustion process.
I just rebuilt my engine, I installed the newer LDS pistons and liners, this lowered my compression down to 20:1.
I'm going to keep increasing the methanol slowly and see what percentage it will take.

red

I installed a water/methanol injection system on my bobbed M35A2, it works really good. I bought the kit from Alky Control. It's triggered by boost pressure, I have it come on at about 5 psi boost.
So far I have only ran a 1% methanol mixture, I've heard the multifuel engines don't like the methanol, not sure if it's the 22:1 compression or if it's the hypercycle combustion process.
I just rebuilt my engine, I installed the newer LDS pistons and liners, this lowered my compression down to 20:1.
I'm going to keep increasing the methanol slowly and see what percentage it will take.

The hypercycle process is the issue with running methanol in a multifuel. It begins the combustion process too early, igniting the methanol while the piston is still on the up stroke. The water is fine no issues there, but you must keep the methanol very low/none.

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hypercycle process is the issue with running methanol in a multifuel. It begins the combustion process too early, igniting the methanol while the piston is still on the up stroke. The water is fine no issues there, but you must keep the methanol very low/none.
Red, have you been running water/methanol injection on the 20:1 LDS engine?

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did put a 50% methanol mix in a spray bottle, I sprayed in directly into the turbo, didn't notice anything bad. The engine wasn't under a load tho. I'll keep add methanol till it starts effecting it in a bad way. I'm curious as to what percentage I can get away with. It would be nice to be able to add enough methanol to keep the system from freezing in the winter.

red

Red, have you been running water/methanol injection on the 20:1 LDS engine?
I have not. But it's not the compression ratio that's the concern. The 6.2/6.5L diesel engines have a 21:1 compression and they can run the methanol without complaint. It's the timing when the methanol is injected in the multifuel that is the issue.

Ford Mechanic

There's a big long thread in the M35 hot rodding sections about this same thing. A couple of those guys must be engineers cause they are sharper than most. You might want to try and look that one up.
I think some one there detonated a motor using too much methanol.

mark salanco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've already read all that info. Nobody has came up with a percentage of methanol that is safe. So I will do my own testing and see what percentage of methanol can be ran without detonation. People need to know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks