• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water Pump Belt replacement

CMSGT

I am in the process of replacing all the belts on my 5 Ton with a Cummins NHC 250 engine. I got all of them off except 1. The belt from the crank to the waterpump has no adjustment and I can't figure out how this comes off/on. I looked at the manual but it appears mine is a bit different than what they show there. For belts I have 2 to the generator from the fan pulley, 2 to the power steering from the crank pulley, 2 that go from the crank pulley to the fan and 1 that goes from the crank directly to the water pump. I see no other way the belts could be routed so I don't think they were installed improperly though I could be wrong. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Scrounger

The water pump on the Cummins is eccentric in the block. Just loosen the six bolts that are in the ring that hold the pump in the block, and then rotate the pump to loosen the belt. When tightening the bolts after loosening alternate around and do it in steps to minimize the chance of leakage. If one has to remove the pump it is wise to coat the metal gasket with anti-seize to prevent it from leaking/ tearing in the future.

CMSGT

Is the best way to rotate the pump to use a chisel/punch and tap in the notches around it? I have been having really bad luck lately and the last thing I want to do is replace my waterpump because I screwed something up.

CMSGT

Do I have to loosen the 2 allen set screws or just the bolts around the pump? I really appreciate the help guys!

CMSGT

I had to use a punch and lightly tap the pump to get her to move but it worked fine, I appreciate the help!

Scrounger

There is a metal gasket/ seal that the water pump rotates on when adjusting the belt. Sometimes the pump sticks and as you found out needs a gentile tap to get moving. That is why the gasket needs to be coated with anti-seize when installing a new pump or replacing the gasket. Keep an eye out for any leaking around the pump incase the gasket doesn’t seal. If it leaks sometimes it just requires a little more tightening of the bolts.

CMSGT

Well I got the new belt on, it wasnt the one I found listed in here for the water pump, I had to go to Napa 3 times and finally got this one: 2522434. After I got it on I had 1 bolt that just wouldnt tighten, Im hoping putting in one just a little longer will solve the problem. Does anyone know the torque specs?