• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water pump/fan wobble&play

hoplite666

Sprang a leak from the water pump. After inspecting I could see some wobble in the pump pulley. There is a solid 1/8 to 1/4 inch of play when I pull and push the fan front and back. Replaced several water pumps in other cars but never noticed play in the shaft like this. Is this just a symptom bearing failure?

hoplite666

Yeah. I get that its leaking from the inner shaft seal. Which most likely went because of the wobble. My question is in regards to the source of the wobble.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your waterpump is bad.

MarcusOReallyus

That's what they do when they fail. Seals fail, bushings fail, and they leak and wobble. Don't over-analyze this. Just replace it.

It's possible it was chewed up by too much tension on the belt. Many an alternator and water pump has met an early death due to somebody thinking that tighter is better.

hoplite666

Just wrapping up installing my new water pump. About to tighten up the belts and I notice a 15mm bolt sitting in the parts tray. Wtf!? Did a head count and doesn't look like I forgot anything. But never the less there it is.

Last edited:

acesneights1

Then you forgot something...:doh::doh:
Hopefully you used some blue loctite on the bolts that go in from the back side of th timing case cover to the Pump.

hoplite666

Then you forgot something...:doh::doh:
Hopefully you used some blue loctite on the bolts that go in from the back side of th timing case cover to the Pump.
I'm gonna go over the whole thing tomorrow in the light and hopefully figure out where it goes.. I hate when this happens. Lol
No loctite just a dab of water pump/thermostat sealant on them.

Last edited:

hoplite666

Got it. lol. Took me looking at the diagram for the power steering pump to figure it out. It goes to the rear lower support bracket on the pump.