• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water Pump Mishap

Procyon256

I have an M35A2, below is information about the truck;

JEEP CORP MDL M35A2 SN 04166871 052523324 2 1/ 1 TON CARGO TRUCK, MANUAL TRANSMISSION, CONTINENTAL MULTIFUEL ENGINE, 6CYL. TUROBCHARGED

I believe the engine is a 1971 and the truck had a Modification Work Order in 1985.

There was a mishap. The pulley and fan came off the water pump while in operation and tore up the radiator.

I got pricing on the below parts and will be ordering in the next day or so. About $900 in all.

Radiator
Water Pump
Fan
Set of 2 belts
Lower Radiator Hose
Gaskets as needed

I've only had the truck a few months. I welcome any comments or suggestions that may make the repair go smooth or if I may need anything else to do the job other then items on my list.

Thanks
Dan

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you put the new radiator back in, put the fan inside the shroud, put a piece of cardboard between the fan and core.. It makes putting it in lots easier and you won't tear up the new radiator.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
As long as you are there, do the hose behind the oil filter canisters.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doesn't that whole radiator assembly lift out? Take that out, replace the water pump, hoses, fan & all, then reset the radiator, Change that thermostat too with the hottest one you can get! Use an overhead, or an engine puller to remove/set the radiator! Don't feel too bad. I once had that happen on an M211.

Lee in Alaska

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget to remove the woven ground strap bolt(passenger side) on the cross-member before attempting to lift the radiator up and out. If you do not have a winch, you should be able to tilt the grill forward and get the radiator out and back in with the fan mounted to the water-pump. Be sure the new lower radiator hose has plenty of clearance from the harmonic balancer(the hose will swell over time). Flush your system while you have it apart also. Use HD Fleet service antifreeze for use in diesel engines or an additive pakage to supplement SCA's. Search here to find more on this.

Where are you planning to get a radiator from?

Procyon256

From the sound of it the radiator is heavier then I expected. Do you know about how heavy? I'm thinking of turning it in for scrap to help pay for ths shipping.

The radiator is coming from TNJ Murry. $635 for a re-built.

Thanks for all the tips.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can lift it by hand ok. Did you get a good explanation of "rebuilt"from TNJ?

PM sent

Procyon256

It's pretty beat up with several large holes in it. When the pulley came off, the fan ground into the radiator. I don't know how much the radiator weighs but I live just a few miles from a scrap metals place. I think the going rate for copper is about $3.00 per pound.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
it's not that heavy. i always just lift it out or in. the fan should be on the water pump before you install the rad so i don't understand about the cardboard. leave the belts loose so you can turn the fan to get it in the shroud. rebuilt is a relative term, what is the wtty? many deuce mil usa made rads are very poorly made and the top tank will blow off easily as many will attest.

Procyon256

Thanks for the warning.

All I know about the new radiator is that it's listed as "Rebuilt In Box". I take that to mean it probably has a new core or something to that effect and was rebuilt at a qualified radiator shop. I'll look it over well when it comes. It may well be a surplus.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you take the old radiator to a shop? I got a super rare radiator out of a forklift I had rebuilt with a modern core, thing worked too dang good! had it for years and never a problem. I don't know if a shop would have a core laying around that big, unless it was a big truck shop. Got it done for just under $200. Couldn't find a new radiator or even a used one for anywhere near that much. Also the difference between 1960's tech cores and modern cores- the original was like 4in think, the new one was 2, and I had major trouble just trying to get the engine to warm up!

Just a thought. Heck, for $900 you could have gotten a spare truck...

Barrman

My gasser radiator just shipped to me which is the same basic size as the multifuel one was 76 pounds in the box for shipping purposes. If that helps.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Water Pump Mishap

Procyon256 said:
Thanks for the warning.

All I know about the new radiator is that it's listed as "Rebuilt In Box". I take that to mean it probably has a new core or something to that effect and was rebuilt at a qualified radiator shop. I'll look it over well when it comes. It may well be a surplus.
So, did you get your radiator and install it yet? If you did, what did you think of it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks