• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water pump question

engineer233

I have a M923 with a NHC-250. The water pump has a grease fitting on it. I had a moment of stupid hit me while I was greasing the truck and greased it without first checking what grease to put in it. A few days later found the antifreese was milky . Could the grease have gotten into the into the water and caused this ?

DAS

How much grease did you pump into it......only needs a little,like one pump with a hand unit.......theres a spring loaded cerramic seal in there to keep the water out of the bearing......DAS

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd guess your oil cooler is bad.

Barron

Check the oil in the tranny and see if it's contaminated. if it is you're gonna have a bad tranny soon.

Barron

Depending on age and condition, the heat exchanger, or oil cooler for the transmission oil can develop a leak, and transfer small amounts of transmission oil into the coolant, or vice versa. Antifreeze wrecks Allison transmissions.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it white or grey/black...the color of the engine oil. Fuel in the oil turns white.

engineer233

I checked the tranny and the crankcase oil and they appeared normal . While reinstalling a radiator hose the residue in the hose was the same dark color of the grease. I gave it maybe 4 pumps from a hand unit. I first thought oil cooler then I remembered doing this stupid stunt of maybe putting too much grease in the pump. I'm going to flush it out later today and run it some more. I will definitely keep a close check on the tranny and the crankcase in the meantime while waiting to see if it does this again. I hope this is the problem and not an expensive oil or tranny cooler.