• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water Trucks... Mk23...

fasttruck

Looks like a 1000 gallon tank from here which would hold 8000 pounds of water.
A 7 ton truck should be able to haul that on improved roads. About 750 gallons on unimproved roads. The greatest car must be taken on unimproved roads not to roll the truck over on a side slope. Tanker rollovers are supposed to be the leading cause of LODD in apparatus accidents.

Lead Man

Looks like a 1000 gallon tank from here which would hold 8000 pounds of water.
A 7 ton truck should be able to haul that on improved roads. About 750 gallons on unimproved roads. The greatest car must be taken on unimproved roads not to roll the truck over on a side slope. Tanker rollovers are supposed to be the leading cause of LODD in apparatus accidents.
Sorry, 4,000 gallon tank.
We plumbed the PTO to the Allison 4070P Transmission, cut a hole on the floor board to access the PTO Pump, fairly easy install.
But, there isnt 4 inches between the tank and cab, it squats a bit in the rear when loaded...
We are to do three of these...

fasttruck

4000 gallons really ? That is like 33,000 pounds of water on 3 axles ? How are you planning to get it to stop ? This is almost tractor trailer loads and they have five axles to your three.

Lead Man

4000 gallons really ? That is like 33,000 pounds of water on 3 axles ? How are you planning to get it to stop ? This is almost tractor trailer loads and they have five axles to your three.
Yes scary.
Looking for brake shoes now.
Cant convince owner otherwise.
I thought about a tag axle...

fasttruck

Reference post 15: Baffled yes but transverse baffles that restrict movement front to back, NOT side to side which is why they roll over easily. Yes, check for a DOT data plate on the tank itself some[lace. The Army buys semi-trailer tankers that together with the tractor run on 5 axles and they are rated for 5000 gallons of gas. Civilian gas tankers which are designed to be run exclusively on improved roads typically carry about 8200 gallons of gas and they are fabricated from aluminum. The gallonages you list will overload a 3 axle vehicle. Suspect the gallonage is less to stay in the vehicles mechanical limiys.

snowtrac nome

it does look to me to be around 4000 gallons i maintain a fleet of tankers and our largest is 4400 gallons on 3 axles it stops just fine most water trucks work off road with limited on road service. i think the project looks real nice and should work well when used as most non potable water trucks are used.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks