• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WB-57 - A Cold War relic but still flying

tommys2patrick

I wonder how many components or design parameters are shared with the U2, if any. It looks like it would. A testament to the men and machines that fly, design and maintain them that they continue to serve. thanks.

runk

One of my friends at NASA is a back seater for the WB-57s. He was loaned to the Air Force and stationed in Saudi Arabia for about a year in the second gulf war (2003) along with the WB-57 that usually lives at JSC. (Most of the pilots are Air Force on loan to NASA, so it was an interesting reverse.)

They have a very distinctive engine note, everybody looks up when one flies over.

I've seen one with all the engine cowlings off, they are crazy complicated even by the standards of turbine engines.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks