• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC-51 Restoration or Bust!!

zout

TWM - ya know its easy to make two sets at once instead of just one set ?

I'm going to go bury my head in the ga clay now.:drool:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does that baby have the original back and seat springs? If so, I could easily help you out. Just need to get some seat covers and away I will go. :-D

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today was engine install day. I put the chassis on Dollies for maneuverability and rearranged the shop to allow space to work on the cab and cargo bed next. The gentleman in the photo is my friend Bill who is 87 years old and has been restoring vehicles for over 50 years. He is a unbelievable experience resource for me. Once installed, I connected the fuel line to the pump and installed and adjusted the clutch pedal and linkage. I will try to get the radiator support and radiator installed next week so we can fire her up.

Bill.jpgEngine-Ready.jpgTarget-Location.jpgInstall-One.jpgInstall-Two.jpgInstall-Three.jpgInstall-Four.jpgNew-Shop-Layout.jpg

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
super job so far. I'm really enjoying this thread. It's nice to see someone restoring instead of "modifying".

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
super job so far. I'm really enjoying this thread. It's nice to see someone restoring instead of "modifying".
I sorta think it's an old fellers thingy...like TWM and Zout. They remember the POS vehicles they had in the motor pool and always wished they were "perfect" vehicles, so when they actually get one...well....you can see what happens:papabear:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
TWM, these last pictures are simply spectacular.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sorta think it's an old fellers thingy...like TWM and Zout. They remember the POS vehicles they had in the motor pool and always wished they were "perfect" vehicles, so when they actually get one...well....you can see what happens:papabear:
Being the youngster that he is, PB always got the latest vehicles and Zout and I got the ones on their way to GL!!!!

zout

My couple of neighbors seen the Jeeps come in along with the 43 - the 109 was not so bad of shape. The WC now is 50 times nicer shape than the jeeps and 43 combined.

Neighbors called them a total POS rust buckets and even wondered why I had them and worse of all going to think I could do anything with the rust buckets. Perserverence. What is one mans junk is another mans treasure trove. If you have the skill levels you have already overlooked all the rust and damage and can picture the vehicle already done - now just to get there is the annoying part.

In TWM's case - he just has higher hopes for his - I just want to run ours around and have fun with them and not be afraid to get in the dirt.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brake-Band.jpgWell, I only got the handbrake assembly installed and adjusted today. One of our sheep had twins and orphaned one of them so I have to feed it 6 times a day. It is very tiring and my nipples hurt!!!! :shock:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
View attachment 420744Well, I only got the handbrake assembly installed and adjusted today. One of our sheep had twins and orphaned one of them so I have to feed it 6 times a day. It is very tiring and my nipples hurt!!!! :shock:
When Commander Warp and I make a suprize raid...er...I mean visit, I'm gonna be afraid to ride in or touch that immaculate vehicle!! I'll be afraid I might scratch or put a mark on it!!:shock:

Oh...and I think you're supposed to use a bottle to feed the sheepie.:confused:

Last edited:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am in the process of building a sheep transport cage for my trailer but I did take some time today to complete a few items. Installed the bumperettes and taillight brackets on the chassis along with the transmission crossmember. Blasted and epoxy coated the radiator support, cowl parts and the spare tire carrier. Once I paint these I will install the radiator and cowl assembly in preparation for engine startup.

Bumperettes.jpgTranny-Crossmember.jpgParts-1.jpgParts-2.jpgParts-3.jpg

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TWM,

I have a procedural/historical/philosophical question for you on your restoration, based entirely on my inexperience with such matters.

All the trucks I have seen from the military are all painted as an assembly. Every nut, bolt, hose, brake line, hose clamp and so on are painted after the assembly is complete. Maybe the trucks came from the factory this way, or maybe they were repainted out in the various work shops after they were deployed. I don't know.

Will you squirt another coat over the assembled chassis or leave the hoses, lines and master cylinder alone?

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks