• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC-53 Differential Questions

COX

Do the "early" and "late" WC-53 trucks have the same axles accept for the differential?

I need to get a front differrential and both axle shafts for the front. Before I buy the parts, I was wondering if the axle shafts are different or just the differntial. My WC has the early 8 3/4" ring gear in the rear and I have found a complete matching 8 3/4" differential for the front. I have also found a good deal on both axle shafts but they are for the later 9 5/8" ring gear differential.

Does anyone know if the shafts are the same, or are the early/late specific?

Any help is appreciated fromthis newbie.

COX

There just doesn't seem to be real clear answers on their site/literature. I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience.

m376x6

No, but not a major obstacle. The 8 3/4" diffs were 2 pinion, while the 9 5/8 were 4 pinion diffs. The diameter of the shafts are the same at 1 3/8 10 spline. The actual shaft is 1 1/4 inch between flange and splines. The difference in 8 3/4 and 9 5/8 shafts is the length. The 8 3/4 is 36 17/64 while the 9 5/8 is 36 15/64. If you are using a 8 5/8 diff either shaft will work. If trying to use a 8 3/4 diff shaft in the 9 5/8 diff you will need to grind off 1/32 of an inch. Based on your description, the shafts you have found will work. That small difference in length won't be any disadvantage unless you start using high torque/horsepower engines. Check the housing to make sure there are no tags welded to it instructing you to use 2 carrier gaskets instead of one. Best of luck.

Regards,
M376X6