• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Website slow loading?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just looking at our logs for the last 15 minutes:

1,191,818 total attempt at our network
138,575 attacks at Telnet (something that should never be used over the Internet)
6,429 attacks on SSH

Mind you this is a slow day and that is only 15 minutes of people/bots with nothing better to do all around the world.

If you want to see a cool example of what we (in the biz) do all day.

http://map.norsecorp.com/

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

138,575 attacks at Telnet (something that should never be used over the Internet)
6,429 attacks on SSH

Mind you this is a slow day and that is only 15 minutes of people/bots with nothing better to do all around the world.

That most likely a link to "I love my wife's Jag." web site.

Plane Fast

6,429 attacks on SSH

Forgive my ignorance, but what is Telnet and SSH? My IT knowledge consist of a Commodore 64 and ATARI,!:whistle:

...well Google helped with the definition.. I guess

Last edited:

tim292stro

Telnet is a text (plain-text, insecure) command prompt essentially on a computer. Some moron Admins and noobs will leave that port open so they can remote control their systems from somewhere else - it can have an OS login and password, but because it's unencrypted anyone can read the packet and get the login and password and then impersonate the Admin. It also often doesn't have login attempt limits on embedded things (like your home router/firewall) so people can just bang away at it until they get in.

SSH is "secure socket shell" is basically the same thing as telnet, but encrypted. This is the more common port that Admins leave open to the internet so they can log in to a server from offsite and maintain it. Sites like Steel Soldiers (I'm guessing) are run on hosted servers (or virtual machines in a datacenter) or dedicated servers - not just sitting in someone's living room. Getting to that server requires either driving or (better) logging in remotely with SSH. You can also do other things with SSH that are slick like SSH tunneling, which allows you to use the SSH port as a type of VPN, so you can do run other services on ports that are not open on the server externally - and still retain the security of the SSL session.

As with Telnet, once you log into a machine you can do whatever your privilege level allows you to do - start/stop web-server daemons, start/stop/modify databases (vBulletin which is what powers this forum is run on a MySQL database, each post is a unique database entry), or you could start a bot-net or spam emailer - that's where the baddies are going. That and the user lists and info and the password blob - it can allow baddies to start generating a profile on the users and combine that info with other sources - like your banking info...

The thing is for a port to be attacked, it has to be "open" which means it has to respond on the open internet. You can use a tool like the Gibson Research Company's free "Sheild's Up!" port scanner at home to find out what your router/firewall is leaving open (don't do this at work - it'll freak out your IT department!!!). A home firewall should basically be tight as a drum, unless you are hosting a web server or email server (not the browser/email-client most people use).

A lot of the other ports you see open are service vulnerability type things - VNC is a remote desktop tool and it's laughable how much stuff (AND WHAT) is left open and unsecured on the internet via VNC:
CAUTION - LANGUAGE AND EXPLICIT CONTENT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xJXJ9pTihM

MySQL is a database - in most cases there is no need to expose the DB to the open internet - only a few local machines providing a service or the actual local host (the machine running the DB) needs to see the data on the DB. Other popular stuff you see on the list is Microsoft vulnerabilities.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

It's kind of a "side-ways" story, tim292stro, but your informative post here reminds me of a WWII story my Old Man told me once (I think it was about "Chesty" Puller):

- There was action somewhere on one of the various islands being jumpfrogged to the Japanese mainland.

- Chesty was on a radio to a Phillipine scout accompanying a squad of reconnoitering Marines, asking for a headcount approximation of the enemy strength.

- The scout said "Many".

- Chesty asks, 'Well, HOW many!?"

- The scout says " Many, Many!"

- Just when Chesty was about to explode over the squawk box, one of the squad Marines breaks in and says "General, there's a ****load!!!

- And Chesty responds. "Well, I'm glad SOMEBODY around here knows what they're talking about!"

You know what YOU'RE talking about. Thanks.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just uploaded pics last week. Used same method, now just sits there......:whistle:

Might check your device security settings then. There's nothing that controls a single users ability to upload or not upload. (Well, usergroups do, but everyone here is in the same base usergroup when it comes to uploads)

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might check your device security settings then. There's nothing that controls a single users ability to upload or not upload. (Well, usergroups do, but everyone here is in the same base usergroup when it comes to uploads)
Same PC as I always use, nothing changed "that I know of". But that doesn't mean much with my basic lack of computer knowledge.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Loading slow for me too. That's why I haven't been on here as much.
First report of this since 2015. I haven't seen any issues loading at home or work. Can you tell me more about your situation? What browser, computer, internet connection are you using? Are you using a pop up blocker or ad blocker? There's a few things that could cause it related to your end.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
And just a check of the server.

load average: 0.38, 0.37, 0.41

Anything below 4 is best. We're well below that. (meaning no wait state)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks