• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"weekend at kipmans" ( rear main seal)

TACTICAL6

My deuce has needed a rear main seal since I got it. I thought it might be a good idea to get it fixed before Haspin. KIPMAN so graciously offered up the "Militia Headquarters" Maintenance Facility, AKA.... the Farm. In prep the job, I rounded up all necessary parts; clutch pressure plate, throw out bearing, rear main seal and two gaskets for the seal housing. The tech at Memphis Equipment told me it was a good idea to put two gaskets behind the seal housing so the seal would not be on top of the grooves on the crank. Sounded good to me.

So at 0815 I arrive at Kipmans, and by 1230 hrs, the job is done........... So, HDExpert and HDMax were there working on HDExperts timing issue. Helped them for a while and hit the road at 1600 hrs. About 10 miles out the clutch started slipping so bad that top speed was about 30. Turned it around back to the farm.

Back at the farm after much swearing and head scratching, we pulled the tranny, clutch, pressure plate....fly wheel. Only to find out that the new seal is completely obliterated. Upon further inspection, it seems that the advice about adding two seals.....not good. The seals added just enough to make the seal contact the flywheel. The excessive heat just blasted the seal.

HDMax saved the day!!! He happened to have a seal just 20 minutes down the road.....THANKS MIKE!!!!

Sunday 0900 ish.... intall new seal, tranny......test drive......clutch slipping again..... WTH....!

Sunday 1130 ish.....tear everything out again..GETTING PRETTY GOOD AT THIS NOW. Excess oil from seal destruction in pressure plate was enough to make clutch slip.... clean the he** out of it, reinstall.... test drive.. Good to go....

Moral of the story.......don't use the gaskets behind the seal housing !!!!!!!!!!

It was hot..... heavy work......a bit repetitive... But I can't think of a better crew to work with....Thanks Kipman...HDExpert....HDMax.... looking forward to Haspin.........

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting... Just a week or 2 ago, someone mentioned a guy at Memphis said, the SS site was full of bad info (or something like that). Touché'

Plenty of good times are had, at the farm.

Did you check for excessive crankshaft end play?

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
Kip and I did talk about that and while the thought of stacking the gaskets to move the seal was sound... you NEVER stack gaskets. There is a speedy sleeve that is available for that rear main seal.
I know you dudes were told by Memphis to do so, so I totally 100% understand what happened. But I for sure would like to slap someone silly

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like quite a weekend. Kip is ok for a poor white boy, but you have got to stay on him about working, or he'll just stop and start posing for goofy pictures for no reason :cookoo:. Just ask Doghead

hdmax

Kip is for sure one of a kind! Not many a fellows would give up not one day, but two in order to help out, and supply tools, power, air, and a work place for a fellow man!

We all kid about this or that, but Kip is a true friend that anyone would be lucky to have.

I am glad we were able to get Greg's truck back on the road, to bad things didn't go so good with Buff's truck.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kip is great. Nothing like having someone around that can walk under the truck to work on it.

:)

TACTICAL6

Kip is for sure one of a kind! Not many a fellows would give up not one day, but two in order to help out, and supply tools, power, air, and a work place for a fellow man!

We all kid about this or that, but Kip is a true friend that anyone would be lucky to have.

I am glad we were able to get Greg's truck back on the road, to bad things didn't go so good with Buff's truck.

Mike is right, Kip is a great dude!!!! He should be the SteelSoldier poster boy!!!!!!

I am gettin a statue of him made in time for unveiling at Haspin......:cool:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike is right, Kip is a great dude!!!! He should be the SteelSoldier poster boy!!!!!!

I am gettin a statue of him made in time for unveiling at Haspin......:cool:

Here's the pic for the "poster boy", or for a statue.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks