• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weekend Trip with CUCV

stationjj

I did a short weekend trip to North Alabama for the Huntsville Hamfest, about 100 miles away.

The CUCV M1009 started having issues one after another.

1. It started having loss of power issues, and struggles on hills.
  2. The charging system is over charging
  3. Fried my DC inverter (which was off)
  4. Rear battery overheated and died.
  5. Rubber piece hood rest on caught fire.
  6. Some Metal bracket has lost it's bolts.

I was lucky to get home. I dealt with power issues whole trip. I was about 35 miles out and voltmeter went nuts and I noticed a smell. Luckily I was close to an exit. The rear battery was overheating and smoking. I suspect battery is fried? I am glad I added a 3rd battery for Ham radio, and other things. I was able to use the 3rd battery to get the truck started again. The voltmeter settled down to the yellow range.

I was starting to feel I might make it back home. Then about 10 miles out. I noticed smoke and then fire coming from Left (driver side) engine compartment. It seems the rubber piece the hood rest on caught fire. Why? I am not sure at the moment?

Did finally make it home, and got unloaded and it started raining. So I haven't dealt with the issues yet. I need to do some research and develop my plan of action.

It feels the CUCV is falling apart at once. Just part of owning a CUCV. It's always interesting.

Thank you for letting me vent!

Stationjj
KK4LNG

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like all that happened is your passenger side alternator's voltage regulator failed full output and cooked the battery and the alternator. The engine power issue is most likely filters. Glad you made it home. Not sure why your hood bumper caught fire though.

rsh4364

I agree with all above on electric issues,on power loss issues either fuel/air filters.Or bad lift pump,my older 1009 would run ,start and drive at speeds of 70mph with no lift pump I would sometimes forget to switch pump on.(it was elect.pump) I have read our inj.pumps are capable of pulling plenty of fuel for our motors on flat ground but need a lift pump on inclines.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks