• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wehring LMTV Mods

wehring

Finally got time to hook up the cruise switches, wiring and pins. Took it out for a spin about midnight last night... nothing. The switches are dead. Called my Cat guy and he was in the area today. He hooked up the computer and saw that the low speed setting was set to 127mph. He dropped that value to 15mph (lowest possible) and turned on the soft cruise setting. All is well. Cruise works great and the soft cruise setting is very smooth. Went up a bridge and it did not have the hard jump for acceleration. It was a nice gradual acceleration to keep up with speed going up the bridge.

The down side... the brake pedal does not turn off the cruise. The Cat guy looked at his computer and J1pin22 is the input for the clutch pedal sensor. I will install a switch on the brake pedal and pin it into this location.

The other thing that is odd is that with the cruise switch in the on position (cruise not set just switch on) the exhaust brake does not come on. You have to flip the cruise switch off for the exhaust brake to come on.

All in all this is a GREAT upgrade. I am going to take it on a road trip in MArch from TX to NC and back. This will really make a difference on that trip. Even in my F350 my right knee gets sore from hours on a pedal.

Cat 3116 guys... you already have a "cruise" on you trucks. The throttle lever on tha dash.

Justin

wehring

lmtv seats.jpg

I am going to change out the Cobra seats, bases and custom adapters for commercial Bostrom seats (heated and completely out of place in a mil truck) for the best possible comfort on long trips. If any of you are interested in the Cobra set up drop me a line.

Justin

Last edited:

wehring

UPDATE: The cruise control did not cut off when you pushed the brake pedal. Soni (M920) spent a few days here recently and he offered a simple and easy solution. The brake light switch is easy to get to and we hooked a wire from it to a relay. When the relay receives power it closes and takes the clutch pedal sensor wire to ground to cut off the cruise.

The seats are still available.

a local locksmith came here and pulled the key barrel to make keys for it.

speedo was corrected with a computer.

m1079

Holy crap Wehring! Just found this thread after driving my LMTV from GA to CA.
I need to do the 6.14 gearing and Alloy wheel mods. Do you have any more details?

wehring

This is the only locker I have seen for these axles. I don't even have one for my other LMTV. I know very little about it except that it is built much like a detroit locker. No clutches.

M1079,
I just drove an M1078 from NC to TX. Straight run of 25 hours. The cruise, faster gears and smooth ride of my first truck sure has spoiled me. The modified truck is more like an F650 while the stock truck is very much a military truck. happy to answer any questions. 979 997 3112

Justin

wehring

2nd LMTV and Towing with LMTV

Recently made a 25 hour road trip in the new LMTV. Dropped it off to have fast gears and locker installed and picked it up last week. Towed my F350 behind the LMTV and pulled it about 5 hours. Towed nicely.

Did some side-by-side testing with both LMTVs. Same motor and same gears. The only driveline difference is the locker. Was able to "stick" the open dif truck while going through a ditch on a 45 deg cut. One front tire and the opposite rear tire spun. The truck with the locker pulled right through. Have not taken the locker truck in the mud so I cant report on any gains.

Justin

Attachments

wehring

A/C, heater, GPS and stereo

Just picked up an AC and heater system for the LMTV. It is a bulkhead system that will mount behind the seats so the center console panel in the dash will not be used. Going to use that area for integrating a stereo and GPS in a new housing that is the same profile as the existing heater module. On travel right now but return soon. Will start on this right away to beat the South Texas summer heat. More to come...

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

MaiNiaK

Very nice ride Wehring..!!

im trying to sorce a M1079 for my personal ride. (Going to sell or give my son my F350)
been wanting to get one for a while, but After loosing a good part of our driveway this spring.... It's time..

wehring

370hp / 931tq

The truck came with a 275hp/860tq program. Installed a 330hp/860tq program with good results. Currently installing 370hp/931tq program. Stand by for results. If this does not drive like i think it should then the next option is to swap in a C9.

more to come...

The 330 program pulls the M114 APC and trailer like a boss. I set the cruise control and let it run for a 3 hour roadtrip this weekend. Nice smooth run

justin wehring

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks