• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

weight of m817 dump

trooper632

could someone please tell me the empty weight of a m817 dump truck. I am going to bid on one for the ranch, and I want to know if I would be able to haul it back with a one ton truck and a dual tandem 20,000 pound trailer. Also, is it worth the extra money to bid on one with a winch or not waste the extra money for one, new to the 5-ton area. thanks

jimbo*

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They weigh about 23K, and TXDOT will have all kinds of fun with you if you haul one on a gooseneck. Hauling a duece on a gooseneck is easy , when you get up to the five tons they weigh 20K and up, you're right at the maximum weight that can be safely hauled by a one or even 1.5 (F550) ton truck.

98hd

trooper632 said:
could someone please tell me the empty weight of a m817 dump truck. I am going to bid on one for the ranch, and I want to know if I would be able to haul it back with a one ton truck and a dual tandem 20,000 pound trailer. Also, is it worth the extra money to bid on one with a winch or not waste the extra money for one, new to the 5-ton area. thanks
Don't know the official weight, but it is over 20k lbs. My xm818 is about 20-21k lbs, so add a dump box to that equation.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: weight of m817 dump

My reco...avoid the winch trucks...they bring more money. While they look better in my opinion, most times you will not need a winch.

madsam

RE: Re: weight of m817 dump

I think the winch question depends on what you are going to do with it. If you need to use a winch more than 5 times, and don't have access to another way to pull things out (20klbs) then it might pay for itself. But if you don't think you will hardly use it, then it is not worth the extra money. BKubu is correct, the winch trucks seem to go about 1k higher.

EdMontana

Re: RE: Re: weight of m817 dump

BKubu said:
My reco...avoid the winch trucks...they bring more money. While they look better in my opinion, most times you will not need a winch.
Agree 100%.......today at Pineville, AL. auction the M817 with winch went about $2K more than the average without.....

The M817 w/w weight is 23,755 lbs. (winch weight 665 lb) and Max payload is 10,000lbs

Ed