• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weights

martin

Hi
I am still looking for a suitable Deuce.
I am trying to decide between M35 cargo, M109 Shopvan or either a 2.5 ton tractor unit with a S280 type shelter instead of a 5th wheel or taking the bed off a cargo and fitting a shelter.
With this in mind please can anyone tell me the weights of the actual vehicles and shelter? It's all to do with the complicated UK driving requirements.
Here's my old one which was a bit too tall as the shelter was on the load bed.(It is the one in the M35 model book).
Thanks,
Martin

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was faced with similar choices.

The M109 shop body is made of wood with steel over it. It may rust. If it leaks, the wood inside the walls rots and the floor will also rot since it is wood, and the bottom steel plate will rust through. seen it even in Texas.

The S-280 is as wide as a bed, meaning that the shelter has to be mounted above the wheels with some clearance, no wheelwells allowed. Consider the space between the tops of the wheels and the bottom of the M35 cargo bed. The S-280 has 4" skids on the bottom, so you gain some height. The cargo truck is best for an S-280.

If you are adventurous and the tractor is long enough, you might be able to stick two S-250's together inline leaving the space for the wheels on the sides.

6 FT people can stand up in an M-109
6 FT people can stand up in an s-280
short people can stand up in an s-250.

The deuce plus S-280, once that is full of gear, will weigh about 20,000 LBs.

martin

Hi
Thanks for that. My workshop body had been fitted on the bed of a cargo (with winch) and weighed just under 8 tons.
Regards,
Martin

Rattlehead

I found this post while trying to find out the weight of an S-280 for a future project. Found the shelter's TM on logsa, answer is 1,400 lbs.