• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weird engine noise

burbn10

I have an 1985 M1008. The 6.2 runs pretty good and doesn't make any unusual noises when going straight down the road, but when I turn and accelerate around a corner, the engine (think it's the injection pump) starts making a bunch of exhaust tick-like sounds. When the truck straightens out the engine smooths right back out and is fine. Doesn't seem to effect anything, but I hate that noise. Any ideas as to what is causing this? I got good oil pressure and it's not like I'm cornering hard enough to make the oil evacuate the pickup area....

Wolf.Dose

I'm not quite shure, but are your engine mounts ok? If they are bad, in a turn the engine gets contact to the frame or better to the rest on the engine mounts and than the engine vibration noise is transferred to the frame which makes a unconfortable noise. If the colour on the metal parts of the engine mounts is gone and the steel is looking at you, that might be the case.
Wolf

burbn10

It's definitely in the engine. I originally thought it was the exhaust, but that checked out fine. Engine mounts have been all changed. It did it before the new mounts too. It sounds like IP noise to me, but it's hard to check seeing it only does it on the road....

burbn10

your camshaft is wiped out, roller lifters are no longer rolling, happens to 6.5 as well... happens when you do not keep up with oil changes.
It is fine as long as I am driving in a straight line. When cornering sharp the noise comes up. I can drive all day long down the highway and not hear it, but if I take off from a stop while turning a corner, it comes up for a few seconds. Is this what you are talking about?

dstang97

My plow truck does this also. I lost all of my body mounts and the fan hits the shroud. Just kisses hit. I'm to laxy to fix this truck so eventually it will work itself out. So you may want to check cab mounts or motor mounts or shroud bolts

burbn10

My plow truck does this also. I lost all of my body mounts and the fan hits the shroud. Just kisses hit. I'm to laxy to fix this truck so eventually it will work itself out. So you may want to check cab mounts or motor mounts or shroud bolts
Thanks. One of my cab mounts is suspect already. I'll check fan clearance. I got a set of polyurethane cab mounts, just waiting for a dry day off to install them.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, camshaft or cab mounts......:confused:

burbn10

Cab mounts are easy to replace. If that is what you are thinking.
Yeah. These trucks are a piece of cake to change mounts on, but it's been pouring rain every time I have a day off and the truck won't fit in the garage anymore because of the 37's... Hopefully the weather will behave next weekend...

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably simple, like an injector line coming into contact with body part when the engine moves a little. If an injector line touches metal it'll make a ratta-tat-tat like a woodpecker. I have heard that many times on a Unimog Diesel when an injector line touch the engine cover.

Bob

beanman1

i have a wierd noise also i cant figure it out i changed the oil today and noticed the magnet on the drain plug had a little sludge on it but the oil was pretty cleen i cannot tell if its a rod knocking or what it isnt very loud truck runs perfect no skipping issues what could it be the sound sounds like its coming from bottom end but its not loud and it sounds like a main bearin/rod bearing i really dont know