• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weird event in the deuce today - Stuck in gear?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So I was leaving out from a person's house today. His driveway was pretty hilly/rocky. I had the t-case in low range since I didn't want to head up it too fast. (Driveway surface slanted at about a 35 degree angle and I had crap in the bed of the deuce) I was in 1st gear as well. I went to shift to 2nd gear. It just stopped. I pushed in the clutch and restarted the engine again. Went to pull it back down into 2nd gear. Nope, Not going to happen. Tried to pop the t-case in N, nope again. Thought, well I can try slipping it forward in 2nd low range. NOPE! It was stuck. It just stalled out and killed the engine. Luckily the owner took his truck and pulled me forward. For a second I was able to pop the t-case into neutral. Once I did that, I could pull the transmission back into neutral. From that point on, all was fine.

Best I can figure is somehow the shift forks grabbed between 2nd and reverse or 5th. Effectively locking the drive-train up since it was on a hill. (Since I couldn't put the t-case in N) Pulling it forward was just enough to unwind the drivetrain to take the stress off the t-case and transmission. Transmission shifted fine after all of this. Was it just a freak chance of mis-shifting and things getting bound up at the wrong time?

rrrr

I started having issues with my GPW shifting. I thought it was going to need a transmission replacement. I ended up just replacing the shift tower and that took care of it. The shifter mechanism was just worn out and sloppy which caused my issues.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was it just a freak chance of mis-shifting and things getting bound up at the wrong time?
Depending how you would define "mis-shifting" here...:)

Sorry to say it but.... it may occur again (two gears engaged at the same time)

I concur with rrrr; suggesting an inspection of your transmission top cover. The problem most likely is a worn or cracked shift- interlock plate, as well as general wear of related parts.

Such a "mis-shift" - accidentally or not - is virtually impossible, with all parts in good working order.

G.