• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weird knocking noise

ryan77

My deuce is making this i think weird knocking noise! U can hear out side but its loudest in the cab. Heres a video of the noise what do u guys think? I cant pin point the exact area its coming from!!!

http://youtu.be/5o65ysG7MOQ

Attachments

Last edited:

RAYZER

Could be valve train noise. Pull the valve covers and check valve adjustment,while your in there,check rocker arm cap bolts for proper tork.

ryan77

I will pull the valve covers and check that! When i stand on the fenders and listen it doesnt seem to be coming from there! Sounds lower, its really loud in the cab!

ODdave

I have busted a few clutch hubs (shattered springs ) in my diesel trucks and once in a MF tractor and they sound exactly like that.

Hope its something simple.

6x6guy

Hows the oil pressure, but it sounds like a valve- but check with chuck, he's the diesel - go to guy
hes got a good head on his shoulders -good luck.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could it be the exhaust port gasket about to go? Mine always made that sound but quieter, then on a road trip, I restarted the truck at a truck stop and it got louder than that and blew right then. Then it was much louder!

I had come from Chester, IL and was headed for Centerton, AR. Had to drive to centerton, then to Memphis TN and beg them to fix it for me. They did the job, very kind of them to do that for me. I was in no way prepared to do it and had no gasket with me, so I could have stayed where I was and overnighted it and risked breaking a stud or worse, or drive it to Memphis. Try driving a deuce from Springfield, IL to Memphis TN with a blown exhaust gasket, the fumes are unholy bad and it is not for the faint of heart.

Anyway, if the knock is coming from an exhaust gasket leak, you will feel the puffs of hot exhaust. A cheap fast thing to eliminate.

Another is the air compressor, if the lube flow is not enough,

DIAG Tool: Get a bic pen casing or something long and hollow like a 1/4" copper tube and put it on the end of a 3 FT hose and put the other end of the hose to your ear. use this stethoscope to poke around and find the racket. Remember the old "language lab" headsets that didn't have speakers and a cable, but had a hose instead? Those are well-adapted if you can find any.

ryan77

I have busted a few clutch hubs (shattered springs ) in my diesel trucks and once in a MF tractor and they sound exactly like that.

Hope its something simple.
I hope its that! Im swaping the trans out next month! So hopefully i can kill 2 birds with one stone! Also one of the air lines i fixed is leaking again! Its always something! If their wasnt it wouldnt be fun!!!

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you looked under the dash to see if something's loose and banging up against the firewall? Does it change with the RPM's?

zout

WOW I love guessing games.

No change with clutch pushed in.
Solid hammer - does it increase in rpms - no reason to slam the throttle - just note if sound is consistant with RPM increase.

Do you have a thermo digital temp gun ??

If you do - take temp readings of all the exhaust ports on the exhaust manifold - note any temp change that may be significant.

Just from my perspective - it may be an injector fueling knock ??? Like I said - just taking a stab at it and being there to do a diagnostic is KEY.

Have you done any pump pressure changes ?
Have you recently done any engine work on it at all ?

good place to start eliminations.

Srjeeper

My first thought was valve train...easy to adjust and it'll give you an opportunity to see if there's anything broken or loose under the valve covers.

Plenty of threads on here to show how easily it's done...good luck and let us know what ya find.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The last time I heard a weird knocking noise, it was the Jehovah's Whitnesses at my back door.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks