• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weird noise while driving

Redneck92

Hello guys,

Today I Noticed some Strang noise while driving.
If I shift the Transmission in neutral while driving There is a Strange crunchy ratteling grinding noise. Seems like IT is comming from the Transmission Area. It occours only when I shift in in neutral and while Holding the engine rpm`s at a certain point while accelerating. If rpm's exeed that point the noise stops.

Hope someone can Help me with this.

Greetings Redneck

welpro222

First thing is too check the fly wheel to converter bolts. Mine made noise at idle, and my bolts were barely loose but enough to make some noise. Remove converter cover and check bolt torque, I think it was 35-40 Lbs. Best thing is too remove, clean, and lock tight each bolt.

Redneck92

I have now checked the converter bolts and the flywheel. Bolts were tight and flywheel is not cracked or damaged.

What else could this be?

Driveshaft U-Jounts are in perfect shape.

welpro222

Is it possible that your shifter is out of adjustment? So when you put it in Neutral, you r almost engaging it in Reverse. Something like this could make a similar noise. How is the tranny acting overall? Shifting pattern, firm shifts, fluid level-color-bubbles?

dangood

Three things. If all of the above mentioned things are in order, Check spare tire mount tensioner (the big rod with a handle) and make sure its is TIGHT! that makes a horrible rattle if its not snugged up good. Second, take a pair of pliers and put a kink in your exhaust heat flange as i have had 10+ trucks that like to rattle something fierce at a certain vibration. Kink it by putting pliers and turn just a bit enough to change the vibration frequency (sorry to go all scientific). Third, Check tire crane slide out and make sure it is PINNED! (I cannot confirm or deny that one slid out and did somersaults across three lanes of the freeway right before rush hour but somehow missed causing any carnage and came to rest on the dirt shoulder) And right before it may or may not have fell I was thinking to myself..."I wonder what that weird rattle sound is coming from..."

Redneck92

The shifter is fine. Transmission fluid leves is ok aswell as color and smell. Transmission shifts good and very directly like it should. The noise occours aswell when holding a certain rpm. If rpm exeed the level the noise stops.

Power steering bracket is okay aswell.

I don´t have a spare tire mount anymore.

Did the M1009 come with tire cranes? Thought the spare where mounted on the passenger side in the bed area.

I noticed the noise only occours when driving. If standing still and reving the engine there are no noises.

M1008BOV

So it doesn't do it while you're in the driveway in neutral holding those rpm's? It must be something that moves while the vehicle is moving. Could be in the trans or t-case....not sure what else. My guess would be in the torque converter if all the other things checked out.

rsh4364

Maybe speedo cable or gear?On my 85 1009 if it got below -10 it would howl at a certain mph.Scared the heck out of me a few times.Sounded like gears stripping,but not metal gears more like plastic.

Last edited:

Redneck92

Torque converter? What could be wrong there? Can I Check somehow the converter or the t case ?

Speedo cable and Gear is fine. I checked it when I replaced the speedo overdrive gearbox.

CUCVLOVER

You might try blocking up the truck and "driving" it that might let you find out more precisely where the noise is coming from. Also a helper could look around on the truck, to spot anything out of place.

Just make sure that the truck is securely blocked up, also chain it to a tree so if it did fall it would not run off.

Hope this helps