• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weird Noises from the front differential ( m998 Humvee)

Hamad

Hi everyone,I have a 1987 m998 Humvee. It drives great, but I noticed a weird sounds from the front differential when the truck is just starting to move forward with the transmission in drive (D) and the steering wheel to the left or in reverse (R) with the steering wheel to the right. Mainly whenever I start driving the car like driving out from a parking or a garage. After that the it drives normally. Does anyone had the same problem?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All you can do is inspect everything, look for loose bolts on the caliper brackets, half shafts etc, push/pull on everything, look at the brake pads and lines.
If you have not done so already change all the gear oil in the diffs and hubs, inspecting the magnetic drain plugs.
Look for leaks or evidence of grease coming out of the half shaft boots, carefully inspect the boots

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It also would not be a bad idea to jack up all 4 corners, one at a time using the jacking point on the lower control arms, that way the weight of the vehicle is still riding on the suspension, just enough to clear the tire from the ground, then push,pull each tire up and down and sideways looking for any play, report any found.

Hamad

All you can do is inspect everything, look for loose bolts on the caliper brackets, half shafts etc, push/pull on everything, look at the brake pads and lines.
If you have not done so already change all the gear oil in the diffs and hubs, inspecting the magnetic drain plugs.
Look for leaks or evidence of grease coming out of the half shaft boots, carefully inspect the boots
I checked everything .. I'm gonna change the oil in the diffs and hubs