• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weird Part - Lunette Extension?

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was given this part (really an assembly) today and was told that it is a "lunette extension" for a trailer. It looks weird to me and seems kind of pointless as a trailer lunette extension.

Does anyone recognize it or know what it is and how to use it? Every part of the assembly has a number and it is definitely very heavy duty.
IMG_4133R.jpgIMG_4134R.jpgIMG_4135R.jpgIMG_4136R.jpgIMG_4137R.jpgIMG_4138R.jpgIMG_4139R.jpg

Thanks for any help with this. I thought this might be something for a bigger truck. I just have a little M37/M42 and M101A1 trailer.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
That is indeed a lunette extension. I've seen it mentioned in P.S. Magazine for towing a trailer with an m113. I can't remember which trailer though; maybe a water buffalo?

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I remember correctly, it is for the PLS trailer (M1076) and used when the PLS has a 20 ft connex on it. The connex sticks off the back and the trailer will strike the connex if this extension is not in place.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, guys!

Not having a M1076 (or even knowing what it is) I guess I now have another orphan to find a home for.

I'll put it with the rest of the orphan herd and hope it doesn't get into too much trouble.

Thanks again!

Storm 51

DrillerSurplus

PLS Drawbar extension

If I remember correctly, it is for the PLS trailer (M1076) and used when the PLS has a 20 ft connex on it. The connex sticks off the back and the trailer will strike the connex if this extension is not in place.
I had subscribed to this thread a while ago, so an email popped up with the recent post. I'm 99% certain Storm 51's extension is not for the PLS, more along the lines of Evil Dr. Porkchop's post.
There is heavy duty and then there is HEAVY DUTY when the loaded trailer has a GVW of 50,000 pounds. The drawbar extension for the PLST adds three feet and weighs 425 pounds. I made a quick pass through the TM and couldn't find any other extensions mentioned.

M1076 PLST drawbar extension .jpg . . . . .View attachment TM-9-2330-385-10 re PLS M1076 drawbar extension.pdf

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My extension is certainly a light weight compared to that thing. I just use mine to make my trailer a little easier to steer when backing up. I can measure it, but it certainly isn't 3 feet in length and the clamping parts would never handle 50,000 lbs.

ev2bfree

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had subscribed to this thread a while ago, so an email popped up with the recent post. I'm 99% certain Storm 51's extension is not for the PLS, more along the lines of Evil Dr. Porkchop's post.
There is heavy duty and then there is HEAVY DUTY when the loaded trailer has a GVW of 50,000 pounds. The drawbar extension for the PLST adds three feet and weighs 425 pounds. I made a quick pass through the TM and couldn't find any other extensions mentioned.

I have 3 PLS trucks and this adapter is used when towing one with another. The tow bar will NOT fit into the "Special" pintle receiver. I also have a MK14 trailer, and that pintle will NOT fit either. The TM does say this is a PLS specific adapter.
Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 8.23.05 AM.jpg

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shipping is going to be a killer on this thing, because I'm in Washington state.

Are you still interested?

DrillerSurplus

DrillerSurplus; There is heavy duty and then there is [B said:
HEAVY DUTY[/B] when the loaded trailer has a GVW of 50,000 pounds. The drawbar extension for the PLST adds three feet and weighs 425 pounds. I made a quick pass through the TM and couldn't find any other extensions mentioned.
I have 3 PLS trucks and this adapter is used when towing one with another. The tow bar will NOT fit into the "Special" pintle receiver. I also have a MK14 trailer, and that pintle will NOT fit either. The TM does say this is a PLS specific adapter.
View attachment 658517
Thanks, learn something every day, one of the great things about this site. I didn't realize the MK14 tow bar lunette wouldn't fit in the self aligning pintle hitch either (or whatever they call it)
I had only looked in the TM for the M1076, what TM has this?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

Last edited:

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, Juan!

It will probably work for both trailers (and maybe a few more). For now it is happily living in the bed of my M101A1. I was planning on attaching it this summer to see if the added length would help make my trailer a little less "active" when I'm backing it up.

At least it is nice to know a little bit of the history of this thing.

DrillerSurplus

View attachment 658517
I'm guessing these adapters are going to be hard to find. I'm wondering if the self-guided feature of the pintle hitch on the PLS is worth the hassle of finding/making an adapter for any trailer other than an M1076. I'm thinking it might be better to change the pintle on the PLS out to a standard heavy duty pintle like what is on the rear of the MK48 rear units.
Anyone on here use these self guided pintles with the shroud while they were in the service? Any thoughts?

DrillerSurplus

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like a great way to adapt a lunette ring to a civie trailer hitch. Lop off that ring on the extension and machine it to allow you to bolt or weld on a ball coupler.

Would let you keep the ring on your mil trailer and swap back and forth between your mil or civ vehicle for towing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks