• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

weird thing on front of grill

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope, no pictures here needer. Ya sure on da not nowing stuff. But then again, if all was known about them, would anyone be crazy enough to buy a M1009? never mind, I here mine calling.....:drool:

salt6

Wow still amazed at the amount of prople that buy CUCVs and know absolutly nothing about them or how to work on them. Great site to help out the not knowing and to humor those that do.

And how many people buy cars and don't know anything but where to put the key. :p

344lbsofgetdown

and u would be suprised how many people buy something and dont know nothing about it i think u should have to take a test B4 u buy a truck or car .:D:D:D
did we figure out what was on the grill we can go down the list
1 brush guard
2 black out light
3 number plate
4 24 volt slave receptical plug
5 20+ years of CARC paint and dead bugs
:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

xenocath

searching.............
mv = designed by the clueless for the clueless and collected by the clueless after the clueless who fixed and drove em were done with them. seems about right to me. :razz:

Darwin T

Wow still amazed at the amount of prople that buy CUCVs and know absolutly nothing about them or how to work on them. Great site to help out the not knowing and to humor those that do.
we can't all be ex-military. but, you don't have to be to like this stuff. he just never saw a blackout light on the civy ones.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its a Gamma Ray detector. :tin hat:

"In case of a nuclear detonation or exposure, it lights up. To see if it is lit, soldier A stands in front of truck and take a close look. If the light is lit, you have been exposed. Works better at night, when you can see the light best. Ensure Soldier B has gear lever in 'Park' and parking brake is engaged" :shock:

...previous copied straight from the PMs. ;)

Seriously, it is the black out light....

Enjoy your new toy!

Last edited:

eric_banks32

Its a Gamma Ray detector. :tin hat:

"In case of a nuclear detonation or exposure, it lights up. To see if it is lit, soldier A stands in front of truck and take a close look. If the light is lit, you have been exposed. Works better at night, when you can see the light best. Ensure Soldier B has gear lever in 'Park' and parking brake is engaged" :shock:

...previous copied straight from the PMs. ;)

Seriously, it is the black out light....

Enjoy your new toy!
I had a guy tell me something similar. He said that my slave receptical was a port to plug a NBC detector into that hung off the front of the truck and the "special door seals" made the truck air tight incase of a biological attack.

No use arguing with that, I just nodded my head in agreement.......

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That thang looks like the new food processor the wife just bought at Wal-Mart. If that is whut it is, yall let me know and I will go back and git em all.

erniemigi

Yeah it was from the Military then it was bought by a Fire Department and when they got done with it they put it up for auction on GSA, this will be the first for me to actually have an old Military vehicle, so far i have learned alot about it from either working on it or by the help from other SS members, thank you to all that have either answered my questions or gave me ideas :grd: