• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Welded Diffs and Lockers

M1075

I am interested in adding lockers to a few of my trucks. I like the idea of the ARB air locker for the 2.5 ton, especially in the front axles. I think Detroit's would be good in the rear, and have also heard several guys just weld up the diffs like a spool on 2.5 tons.

What about welding a 5 ton rear axle? Has anyone here ever done that? If so, I would like to hear details on your application, your experiences, and your failures (if any).

TheBuggyman

We weld our 2.5's in our buggies and use a Detroit in the front. The way the spider gears and carrier come apart means that you can weld the assembly very well and we have never had any failures. My last Jeep had a 480hp SBC that I had holeshotted numerous times beyond count with no failures. My buddy just bought a new item for his 2.5 from Ouverson Engineering- A SPOOL! You simply put it in the carrier where the spiders went, quick and efficient!

Go here for hardcore Deuce axle parts: http://www.ouversonengineering.com/

M1075

Thanks, Buggyman. I have been to Ouversons website before. Good stuff for 2.5 Tons. Not much for 5 tons. Got the valve stems ordered today. Thanks again.

m.walker

The way you use your trucks you would break stuff , I wouldn't do it on a truck that carried any kind of weight . I've welded axles on mudders but never on a big truck and load it , could get really destructive ! It would definetly be interesting to watch !!!

M1075

m.walker said:
The way you use your trucks you would break stuff , I wouldn't do it on a truck that carried any kind of weight . I've welded axles on mudders but never on a big truck and load it , could get really destructive ! It would definetly be interesting to watch !!!
Even on a 5 ton? USMC trucks use detroits and I don't think it limits their payload capacity. Since I have a spare pumkin in the yard, I'm planning a little test. :lol:

Also, the M1075 has air lockers in all 5 axles. It grosses 90,000# and with 500 hp and 1500 ft-lbs, never had a problem with all the axles locked. So I think weight+welded diffs on a 5ton is possible. I'm just hoping to hear from someone who has done it!

TheBuggyman

My USMC 813 has Detroits and it has been loaded off road but not on road. If I make a tight turn on road and loaded I'll push in the clutch and coast the turn. Detroits are only locked under power.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The main problem you have with welding the diffs is on using them on dry pavement. You can't un-lock them and there's no differentiation at all.

rizzo

TheBuggyman said:
You could begin saving and in a few years buy air lockers when they come out..............
last time I talked to ARB they had no plans for the 5 ton. Have you heard something? Give us the scoop!

m.walker

I said I've never done a big truck but I've seen plenty of 1 tons twist shafts , the difference with the locker is just that it can unlock . Once you weld one up though it's permanent .Obviously it's opinion , fact would be doing this to multiple vehicles and coming up with similar conclusions . Do the air lockers in the M1075 lock up into a spool type deal or into a posi ? A truck that big I would wonder . Does it have stickers warning not to lock the axles on hard surfaces ? I've seen drivers in loaded semi's break major components from simple errors ( bump a dock too hard , turn too sharp with an 8 axle trailer ) and if these trucks were empty they would have ended up in much better condition . Seems I read somewhere here someone had trucks locked and unlocked and they said the locked ones are much harder on driveline components .Now would be a good time for someone with some welded up 5 tons to chime in and tell us the pros and cons , anyone ?

derby

Ok, I have not welded a five ton diff. But when I used to run the Demo Derby I would weld up the diff.AAAAWESOME traction.put behind 350HP and a 75 'BUICK ESTATE WAGON and you will do some damage.....to the opponent and the rear end, and this was on light mud.can't remember how many pounds of rod I used! (kidding) The car would not turn on black top without dragging the outer wheel. I would think that a heavy truck might have the same issue.(MO)

TheBuggyman

rizzo said:
TheBuggyman said:
You could begin saving and in a few years buy air lockers when they come out..............
last time I talked to ARB they had no plans for the 5 ton. Have you heard something? Give us the scoop!
Sorry Rizzo, I haven't heard anything. They way that the four wheeling world is going with bigger and bigger tires I would imagine that people may start running 5 ton axles and then generate the interest in an air locker.
After all, that's how the Deuce air locker came to be, isn't it?

rizzo

TheBuggyman said:
rizzo said:
TheBuggyman said:
Sorry Rizzo, I haven't heard anything. They way that the four wheeling world is going with bigger and bigger tires I would imagine that people may start running 5 ton axles and then generate the interest in an air locker.
After all, that's how the Deuce air locker came to be, isn't it?
yes, I have talked to the man gathering info for ARB about the 2.5 tons. I see very few 5 tons out there in the offroad world. Monster trucks are big in FL and all those guys are using 2.5 tons.
The word has to get out to ARB that a need is there. that is what happened with the 2.5 tons. Plus on e of the major suplus dealers was pushing them too.

maybe we should make a post and see who is interested. Cost would be close to $1000 and interested parties would have to e-mail pics of there vehicles and a cc# to the rep at ARB.

I would love a few of them, but lack the extra funds right now

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
when I was at Clark truck parts looking a a pile of 5-ton locker center differential pieces, was told that they have many 5-ton lockers because customers don't want them because they breal axles with them. I assume these are the customers using the trucks for work. Not sure if their price for the lockers would reflect the displeasure with them.

rizzo

OPCOM said:
when I was at Clark truck parts looking a a pile of 5-ton locker center differential pieces, was told that they have many 5-ton lockers because customers don't want them because they breal axles with them. I assume these are the customers using the trucks for work. Not sure if their price for the lockers would reflect the displeasure with them.
how much?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks