• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Welding on a starter

killer_kricket

Is it safe to weld the support bracket stud back onto the starter? Mine is broken off and I need to attach some sort of support structure. If it is safe to weld on a starter I can re-attach the stud to affix the bracket.

Barrman

The stud for the bracket on the direct drive 27MT starter is actually just the long end of the really long bolt holding the starter together. Make sure the other long bolt is there and tight. Then just unscrew it, go buy a new one and screw it in. Or, remove it and then weld it up.

The gear reduction 28MT starter actually has a little aluminum ear sticking up for the bracket stud. The little stud just scrws into it. Drill it out and put in a new on.

I recommend repair rather than welding because even though you could do it right. There are a lot of ways to mess up $150 worth of starter just to fix a little $5 at most bolt. Bearings and things that turn don 't take kindly to high voltage. Especially when those things have their own windings and such.

devilman96

The more important part of re-installing... NEW STARTER BOLTS!!! Put a dab of loctite on the knirl before putting them in, it saves a life time of misery.

killer_kricket

The stud for the bracket on the direct drive 27MT starter is actually just the long end of the really long bolt holding the starter together. Make sure the other long bolt is there and tight. Then just unscrew it, go buy a new one and screw it in. Or, remove it and then weld it up.
Exactly what I ended up doing. The stud I welded in is much beefier now.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So which starter do you have? The old style 27MT or the new style 28MT.

Where are the pics?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks