• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Welding rig I made from an M116A3 trailer frame.

robson1015

M116A3 Kasel trailer converted to welding rig. Originally trailer was fitted with two 5KW generators. It was 'bare bones' rusty open frame when I got it. Diamond plate 3/8" steel and some fresh paint and it makes a nice rig. Thanx for lookin...

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nice! Looks really handy.

Edit, how is the balance? Can you lift the tongue and move it easily? I was always told bottles needed to be transported in the "up" position. Do you see any issues with that one laying down?

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nicely done.

One bit of advise, please consider adding reflective material to the rear of the trailer. Add as much as you can. People tend to run into these trailers partially because of the subdued colors.

Last edited:

wvu dodge

Nice job. I've always said any of these small military trailers would make a perfect welding rig, and was surprised alot of the pipe liners haven't caught on. But I've been told that on some of the pipelines through my neck of the woods, you are lucky to be able to turn a truck around, let alone a truck + trailer, so I understand if that's the case. But would still make for a nice mobile welding set up in the right conditions, and yours turned out good.

If you have a side business, you don't have to dedicate a truck to it, just hitch up and go.

Last edited:

iatractor

Answering the question about tanks, the tanks must be secured during transport. Acetylene and other fuel gases must be upright at all times. This is to keep the product from pushing against the relief valves (on propane, propylene, amteleyene, and map) and venting. Acetylene is due to the fact acetone will come out of solution and wreck havoc on the equipment. One thing I would highly recommend for your cylinders is a safety cap that allows you to leave your regulators hooked up. Otherwise you will need to disconnect the regulator and put the cap back on during transport. That is a requirement of the DOT-all cylinder valves must be protected during transport when equipped to have a cap or collar. Griffitan and Saf-T Cap make them. Otherwise, great trailer. I like how everything is easy to get to and use.

Sharp looking trailer, I believe these military trailers give you lots of quality for rock bottom prices. I have a couple trailers and love each and everyone of them. I've been eye balling a few m116's but can't justify one right now.

But again Sharp trailer

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks