• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Welding to a ring, lunnet?

Blythewoodjoe

In an effort to make the most of the surplus I have on hand, I want to use a lunnet (or what ever the official name is) from a scrapped trailer to make something, and I am wondering if any of you guys know if the steel these are make of is weldable? I know really hard steel can't be welded. Of course the way these things are bent up on most of my trailer, I don't think they are that ductile. Anyway, feel free to chime in here with any info on the subject. If you know of any military surplus stuff that can't be welded, speak up, there is bound to be someone reading this that will try it.

The one I have on hand came from a M101.
Joe

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you going to tow whatever you weld it to, on the road?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Lunettes are cast steel....not machined......you can weld it but you have to use a specialized welding process and rods......it is difficult to put the temper back in it if you get it too hot.

I would be wary about using it to tow with unless you are sure you got it right.

Just my 2cents.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
While I wouldn't do it, some are better welders than others. Pre heat and a slow cool down are key to welding cast. I thought they were forged, but I could be wrong.

Brian Thomas

Cast and forged steel is very easy to weld. Preheat and a large fillet and sevral passes will get it done. If you are and ok welder then i would say take it to some one that is a good welder and has the experience to do the job. You would use a er7018 and a 6010 root to weld it but that is not some special welding rod. If it was on the farm and never saw road use, then weld away. I say do what you want cause who am I to stop you?

Blythewoodjoe

Is the saftey of yourself and others on the road worth the money of a new lunett. Just use a new one that is made or better suited for your purpose.2cents
That's why I asked. I don't like to take chances. I definitly will not be welding to my ring. I have bought weld on rings but the one's I can get will not go over the deuce or 5 ton hitches. Funny story:

I bought my first deuce in 2002. Drove my Jeep wranger to pick it up. Pulled my jeep up behind the deuce, lowered my tow bar (5 ton civilian ring) and discoverd it would not go over the hitch. Plan B?

We then backed the deuce up to a loading dock, removed the front troop seat section (which ironically has no seat), pulled the jeep in the back and away I went. No chains or straps. Did I mention the deuce didn't have breaks either.

This is one of the experiances that has made me adopt the "take no chances" policy. Never again.

Anyway I will do something else for my project. I don't weld on anything that is not EASILY weldable. I have welded to hardened steel before and had it break with the greatest of ease.

Joe

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought they were forged, but I could be wrong.
Yes, they are forged. I know a guy that had a military contract to forge some of them. He showed me the contract one time. You wouldn't believe the specs that go into something this simple. It was about 20 pages of just specs.

People will tell you that you shouldn't weld forged steel. Mainly because it will weaken the forging. Not alot but it will be weaker than before it was welded. With that being said, I've welded on forgings and the lunnet is really overbuilt anyhow. Unless you you are going to have large loads on the weld you should be ok.

CGarbee

I have a M416 in the back yard that had a ball hitch welded over the lunette ring by the nice folks at the local Forestry shop... They did such a nice job that I have yet to get the thing back to stock... :) They welded around the entire hitch assembly...

They had a genset in the trailer and used the unit until it needed new tires. :)

jesusgatos

Cast and forged steel is very easy to weld...
I think most experienced fabricators would disagree with you about welding cast steel. I know it's possible, but it's not generally advisable.

Yes, they are forged. I know a guy that had a military contract to forge some of them. He showed me the contract one time. You wouldn't believe the specs that go into something this simple. It was about 20 pages of just specs.

People will tell you that you shouldn't weld forged steel. Mainly because it will weaken the forging. Not alot but it will be weaker than before it was welded. With that being said, I've welded on forgings and the lunnet is really overbuilt anyhow. Unless you you are going to have large loads on the weld you should be ok.
I don't know how the OP is planning on modifying the lunette-eye, but I wouldn't hesitate to weld on it if it was mine.

allenr

Cast Is kinda tricky. If ya use cast rods and control the preheat and cooldown correctly, It can be very strong. I, wouldn't use it on the hwy or anywhere where there are gonna be traffic. The reason is that if ya don't get it just right, It will crack very easily. I have had good luck on some that held for years on old tractors and such and worthless welds that cracked as it cooled and every thing in between. Just my opinion.