• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Well blew another head gasket :(

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HA! I don't know where you guy's got the idea that I would re-use head gaskets? But thanks LOL!:beer: However I called ARP, and the studs are re-usable. I'll need some of their tread sealer & torque lube.
The last line of post #32 makes it sound like your just cleaning everything and putting it back together.

[ I think I'm going to just clean it up real good and put it all back together, but dry this time. ]

cucvrus

Hate my way. But I would still have the heads checked out. But I would also throw the studs away and put new torque to yield Felpro bolts on the engine and call it a day. Yes of course new gaskets. But like Burger King. All we ask is to let you have it your way. I never had a second head gasket failure on the same engine and I change the head gaskets at this point in time as regular maintenance items. That is on every CUCV I take down to the frame or remove the engine from. I have a set of heads being redone for my current M1009 project. I don't even know if the engine needs them. But experience tells me they are old and weak at the water jackets and compression seals. I have the engine on the bench and the frame out from under the truck. Changing head gaskets is a walk in the park at this point. But do have the heads checked at a reputable machine shop. OK I said it. Do or do not. There is no try. Good Luck either way.

Drock

Well finally got it back together last night. Drove it for a test run last night, and all over town today. I damaged my temp gauge sensor so that's not working. But so far no pressurization of the coolant system[thumbzup]. Sense I found no obvious signs of failure in the gasket or cracks in the heads, block, or cylinders. Best guess to the problem was one or more theories I have (#1) The copper gasket sealer failed causing a gap, thus leak. (#2) I found one of the head studs loose, soo maybe? (#3) After torqueing the heads down this time, I went back and did a re-torque. And found the center 4 nut were 1/4 turn loose. So perhaps I didn't do a re-torque the first time:shrugs:? Anyway tomorrow I'll see if I can repair or replace the temp gauge.