• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Well Crap, those pins are stuck!

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I tried getting the hinge pins out of the tailgate, tried several methods. I just snapped the bolt on piece of my farm jack trying to loosen them. Screw it, the sawsall is next.
The project is to try and straighten out the damage to the tailgate and bed. I used an 8 ton bottle jack trying to push out the metal in the floor, lifted one side of the truck off the ground with no results. So the new plan is to remove the tailgate, and cut out the end panel of the bed and straighten it. Then fixing the floor should be easier. I'll have to practice some gas welding before I try to put it back together. The tailgate will be the hardest to straighten, I may have to cut out the worst of it and weld in a new piece. I've got a lot to do, but since it's still warm, I want to get on this so I can get a couple of good primer coats on it before it gets to cold and wet.

Attachments

bill2444

For the bed: i'd try a piece of heavy timber spanning that crumpled section from underneath and use your jack to lift up the weight of the truck on it. then use a BFH to massage the panel back in place. Like auto body work only with a little more attitude! That might relieve some stresses on the pins to help remove them.

mightymanx

take an air chisel bit cut it and weld the correct sized punch to the stub that fits in the air chisel.

Worked likes a champ on stuck pins

And a liberal soaking of pb blaster/kroyl does not hurt either

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd be looking for another tailgate.
I may end up doing that, but I've got some time so I thought I'd try the cheapass route first. I would've liked to got one in Dayton at the show, but It wouldn't have fit in my Jeep anyway.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last I heard member BBF here in FL had a stack of new ones. If you end up in need and strike a deal with him, I can get it to the GA Rally and from there to at least Cinci or Dayton.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
take an air chisel bit cut it and weld the correct sized punch to the stub that fits in the air chisel.

Worked likes a champ on stuck pins

And a liberal soaking of pb blaster/kroyl does not hurt either
I'm gonna cut 'em off, I've already tried spraying them. They really aren't binding enough to keep them from coming out. I haven't been able to even get them to budge, so when I cut them I can put the tailgate on the ground and use a 12 pounder on them directly. I'll just get some new round stock and cut to size and drill holes for the cotter pins. That shouldn't take long at all.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tailgate pins upgrade

I replaced my tailgate pins with stainless ones. Also, used s/s washers
and cotters. The end of problem, forever and easier to lift tailgate.

I'm gonna cut 'em off, I've already tried spraying them. They really aren't binding enough to keep them from coming out. I haven't been able to even get them to budge, so when I cut them I can put the tailgate on the ground and use a 12 pounder on them directly. I'll just get some new round stock and cut to size and drill holes for the cotter pins. That shouldn't take long at all.

xm708

Heat heat heat

Did you try to heat them up cherry red and let them cool that should break the rust out unless of course they are twisted from the bending of the gate ?

ed

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a tailgate here in Dayton. I'll PM you.

To get my gates off the 105s I just pounded them with a hammer and drift punch.