• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Well...I'm an idiot

Hi my name is Blue2 and I'm an idiot.

I've been noticing a slight anti-freeze drip after driving my 1028 for the last 2 weeks. It would only drip maybe a tablespoon or so, sometimes more. It would leak at the lower left corner right where the core support met the radiator. It was all dry looking from above, but wet down below. I thought oh great, my radiator is cracked! I checked all my hoses/fittings and cap, and all was good there. I checked the drain petcock and it was tight. It was still leaking! I pressure tested it and it only lost 1lb in about 20 minutes. That told me that the radiator wasn't cracked....at least I'm assuming had I had a cracked radiator, I would have lost a lot more pressure, a lot faster. So the truck still leaked. I checked and re-checked the above mentioned fittings and lines. All were fine. I got tired of watching it leak, so today I drained and pulled the radiator. I get the radiator out and onto my garage floor and I see the problem right away. The ****ing drain petcock O-Ring had basically disintegrated on/around the radiator. Turns out after 2 weeks of scratching my head and over-thinking the problem, an O-ring that cost me $0.47 fixed my problem. auaaua I guess the moral of the story is start with the easy/obvious stuff first. Why I didn't think to check the O-ring when I checked the tightness of the drain petcock is beyond me:shock: Anyway, I am done ranting. Hope this might help someone in the future.

:rant:

Last edited:

phil2968

Don't beat yourself up we have all done and we will do it again. It happens to all of us. At least you know the condition of the radiator now!

Lothar

That's what I was thinking. I had to replace the whole thing. Not cheap. When it came in, the guys at the part store asked if the radiator was for a semi it was so big.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't feel bad. My wife's 2001 Ford Supercrew wouldn't start. I made sure the battery was good, went out and bought a new starter, replaced it no start. After spending $$$ on the battery turned out to be the $10 relay....... I won't even go into the time I accidentally put power steering fluid in my brakes on my Dodge........ Still kicking myself on that bill many years after the fact!

dozer1

Don't feel bad. My wife's 2001 Ford Supercrew wouldn't start. I made sure the battery was good, went out and bought a new starter, replaced it no start. After spending $$$ on the battery turned out to be the $10 relay....... I won't even go into the time I accidentally put power steering fluid in my brakes on my Dodge........ Still kicking myself on that bill many years after the fact!

I have made my share of bad calls as well, but I had the starting prob with a 2004 T/C Chrysler van. It would always start, but sometimes you had to hit it a few times before the starter would work. I figured it was the starter solenoid was bad or possibly a starter relay but had no idea where it might be. Popped off the fuse box cover under the hood and there it was. Clearly marked. I thought I would just try that first cuz it was so easy. Hasn't missed a start since. Got lucky once. It wasn't the mega millions, but still put a smile on me face :grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks