• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Well, It's Olive Green! ATV 4-wheeler in a M101 trailer

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, It's Olive Green! ATV 4-wheeler in a M101 trailer UPDATED 1ST POST

I just Joined a deer lease (not that I will be home enough to use it much since I’m always working out of state :-() and awhile back I bought my first 4-wheeler ATV, a new Honda Rancher (in olive green, of course!!:tank:). I had hoped to use one of my M101 trailers to haul it, but the width between the wheel wells of the trailer is 46” and the stated width of the Rancher is 46.1”, so I figured I would have to use my big 8x16 flatbed trailer.

After I got it home, I noticed that the widest part of the ATV was the plastic fender flares at a point higher than the M101 wheel well. Soooo…..I ran the ATV up into the trailer, and found that I actually have about 1” of space on each side between the trailer and the tires as shown in the photos:jumpin:. I loaded it in a M101 and M101A2 as seen in the photos, and since they have the same bed, there was no difference. I like the looks of the wooden racks better, tho, with the M101A2, and I can always add the bows and cover for a long trip or storage.

The Rancher will fit under the bows and cover, but there is no way I can fit under the bows driving the rancher up there. If/when I get a winch, I can winch the ATV into and out of the trailer, under the bows and cover. Since the tail gate chains are too short, I just drop the gate all the way down and set the ramps on top of the tailgate edge, on the outside of the middle hinge bolts.

Update: I lengthened the tailgate chains so the tail gate leveled out and loaded the 4 wheeler. The weight of the ATV was about 600 lbs and my 200+ lbs put over 800 lbs on the tailgate and both tabs the chain handles slide into bent towards the trailer. So, obviously, the M101 tailgate cannot handle ATV loading and I'll go back to first method.

I put two 4x4s and one 4x6 boards in the front of the trailer bed to keep the bumper off of the front of the trailer, and the back rack of the Rancher still fits behind the back tailgate and rack gates. The $100 ramps from Tractor Supply fit just right under the ATV for travel, and if I padlock the gate closed, a tweeker won’t be able to easily steal them.
20130802_193129.jpg 20130806_082629.jpg 20130806_082647.jpg 20130806_082706.jpg 20130806_082720.jpg 20130806_082753.jpg 20130806_082828.jpg 20130806_082837.jpg 20130806_082846.jpg

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice. I wish mine fit in one of my 101s. Mine is 48 inches wide.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's my kids 2002 honda trx400ex quad in the back of the m105 the night before we left for the haspin rally this summer... Fits perfect...
Yeah, I knew the Rancher would fit in my M105, but pulled behind my F250, the breakover angle would make for an exciting adventure loading it :shock: and very difficult unloading at the camp.rofl
Picture 001.jpg Of course I could use one of the big trucks, but they're kinda hard to sneak up on the deer with.:lol:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is where the M101A3 shines with 55" between the inner fenders. My Clubcar Turf2 fits nicely but is just a bit too long to close the gate.

One of the $60 HF winches works great dragging these machines into the trailers.

camogriz

My Yamaha Grizzly 660 is wider than the stated width between the wheelwells of my M101A2, but the extra width is at the fenders, so the ATV fits just fine in the trailer.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Yamaha Grizzly 660 is wider than the stated width between the wheelwells of my M101A2, but the extra width is at the fenders, so the ATV fits just fine in the trailer.
Yeah, that was the point of my post - the specified width of the 4-wheeler indicated that it wouldn't fit between the wheel wells, but the widest part of the 4-wheelers are actually at a point higher than the wheel wells, so it may fit. You just have to measure the width of the wheels and fenders within about 1 foot off the ground.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks