• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Well my fine MV friends....needed help with lug nut issue on my 5 ton super singles

Goobs

I noticed driving home from the grocery store my center wheel on the driver side was wobbling more than usual (tire out of round). I got home and noticed it appears as few of the lugs backed off and have oblonged the wheel lug holes. Strange thing is I can only tell about 3 are like this.

I tried breaking the lugs loose and they are solid. I think it is mostly paint bugging up the threads. Do you think I would be good using aircraft stripper on the studs to remove the paint then use penetrating oil to break the lugs loose?

I have never had to take a wheel off so its scares the crap out of me....he he. Plus I don't have much heavy duty tools for doing this.

Anyone in the Round Rock TX area that wants to assist, it will be greatly appreciated.........I have plenty of Beer.

Thanks

Goobs

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Just to make sure, you know the nuts on the Left(driver) side are left hand threads.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Obtain a new wheel and take your truck and the wheel to a truck tire shop and get them to fix your situation. Watch what they are doing so next time you will understand. Hit up pawn shops looking for a 1" impact wrench with extended anvil.

Goobs

Yes, I'm aware of the threads. I just didn't know if I should clean off the paint before trying to break them loose.

So you don't think there is hope for the wheel?

thanks

goobs

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wheels with wallowed out or egg shaped lug holes need to go STRAIGHT TO THE SCRAP PILE. The air impact will blow the paint on the threads into tomorrow.

sed6

Wait now. You're wheel won't wobble with three lug nuts loose. If your wheel was wobbling ALL but one or two must be loose. Even then your lugs nuts would have to be half off the studs to even see the holes.

Goobs

Yeah sed6, Its weird. I am assuming that is the issue. I looked again and I can only see three nuts that look like this. The others are snug against the wheel. I attempted moving the wheel back and forth (as much as I could) and it felt tight and didn't rock back and forth. I tried breaking the lugs loose but they wouldn't budge cause I wanted to see what they all look like. I couldn't imagine they would all be backed off and stuck at the same time. It may have been a bad wheel when I bought the truck and it may have just gotten to the point to where it was noticed. I don't know.

Hopefully the studs aren't damaged. I don't drive the truck much at high speeds, just to the grocery store, work and kids to school mostly.

Dawico is going to come by and give me a hand to figure it out. Ill post then what we find out.

Thanks all

Goobs

Goobs

A BIG thank you to Dawico for coming over and giving me a hand last night to fix my wheel. WE were able to pull off the wheel, reposition it on the hum and get it back on solid with the lugs. It appears whoever put it on before I purchased it didn't take the time to make sure it was on correctly. Luckily, none of the lugs were messed up and the wheel was fine as well.

Thanks again to Dawico. Everyone on here that I have met have been great and very helpful.

Goobs

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks