• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

well ran into my first eletrical problem

Patattack

picked her up from gl last week, and i found the time to get it started, i did the doghead relay conv. started right up, went to look around the truck and found that the pass side alt. was putting out almost 30 volts, took it out tried to find a new one, and nobody had one so i put it back in, hook everything back up check it twice now when i connect the batterys back up they spark like **** and i have on idea were it grounding out, if anybody has ideas or a path to go on that would be great, or the relay convertion dosent work, thanks for looking

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a stock CUCV system, properly working alternators will put out ~14.7 volts each.

The alternators are supposted to be wired in series and when you combine each, the voltage will be ~29.4v.

When you remove the passenger alternator and replaced it you may have wired it incorrectly.

Have you visted the CUCV Wiki? Downloaded the technical manuals?

The wiring diagrams are in the appendix of the TM 9-2320-289-20 and TM 9-2320-289-34 manuals.

Here is a diagram of how the alternators should be hooked up.

Chances are you you installed the RED wire with white stripe on the wrong terminal

You may have fried a couple of fusable links.

Attachments

Patattack

well i hook it up just like the book said, i only touch the bat. post for 1 milla second and it sparked that was the first time that it started sence i had it so im thinking something came lose or it frayed somthing up ill have to look in deep and find that frayed circuit

Patattack

i tested it on the alt. + ter. when i start it, it stays at 21v then after u let it warm up it go to 30v the the gen 2 light flashes, i think the reg. is going bad in it, i might have to get it rebuilt at a local shop. and i fix the shocking problem there was one bad link in it looks like a old one so it works now, im just glad it all works, its just that alt.

Barrman

Use the -34 to test each component of the alternator once you pull it apart. The TM walks you right through how to do it.

If you put your leads on the battery the alternator you are testing charges, your voltage will be in the 12-15 range. Cuts down the mental math that way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks