• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

well thats not fun

Jeeperjoe

finally talked the wife into letting me get a M1008 Cucv and trading my car out and i can no longer find them anywhere... what happened to all the trucks?!?!

86m1028

A lot of them have been recycled.
That story in the 4x magazine helped kill a bunch of them also.
They are out there, just keep looking.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know Albuquerque Nm is a long ways away but there are 3-4 real nice ones for sale on Craigslist that The seller bought a few take out 6.2's from us. They are sort of high dollar but I would love to have one of his.

Terracoma

I am curious what you are referring to. I am not in with the 4x4 publications these days. Thank you.
The offroad community desires the driveline, as found in the non-M1009 variants of the CUCV.

The Dana 60 front axle alone tends to fetch $800+ on the used market, and the 14-bolt rear axle with the Detroit locker is usually worth ~$250 to the right buyer... The 4.56 axle gearing is also a very good "stock" ratio, whereby the buyer doesn't have to incur the high cost of regearing the stock axles to run the large 33"+ diameter tires. Additionally, the carriers in both axles are correctly sized to allow installation of lower gears (4.88, 5.13) for slower crawling speeds when navigating offroad obstacles. The 32-spline TH400/NP205 combination found in the M1031 and the M1028A1 is also widely considered an unbreakable drivetrain setup for most offroading.

When you tally up the cost of acquiring these parts separately, it's less expensive to simply buy the whole truck.

Last edited:

Ordak

It is a shame that people would do that. I could see if it was completely rusted out and they took only the only "good" parts left. I see no point in wasting a vehicle just for a few parts when there are people who want them and can restore them. I convinced my neighbor to sell an old deuce and half he had out back instead of scraping it (he is in the scraping business) just because they are still people who want them for the historic value or just for fun.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somewhat unrelated. Since moving, my M1010 was a quazi storage unit. I went out yesterdayto fetch a few things. The wife can along to help. I've been mumbling about selling it for months. She asked if I was still selling it and I told her yes. To my amazement, she siad I really should keep it and even admittted thay it had a cool factor.

Last edited:

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somewhat unrelated. Since moving, my M1010 was a quazi storage unit. I went out yesterdayto fetch a few things. The wife can along to help. I've been mumbling about selling it for months. She asked if I was still selling it and I told her yes. To my amazement, she siad I really should keep it and even admittted thay it had a cool factor.

Sounds like SHE is a keeper too!!

Barrman

Kenny, I mentioned I was thinking about selling the Gasser M35 the other day and my wife said I couldn't. "You put too much work into that truck to just let someone else drive it away." Kind of shocked me.

Back on topic. They will be hard to find and expensive until you finally get one and think about selling it. Then they will be plentiful and cheap. Just the way it works. Tax season is the time of year most used vehicles get bought and sold. People either got a refund and want to buy or owe and need cash now. Patience and knowing exactly what you want will get you one in the next 6 months.

Skinny

I'm thankful that the person I bought my M1031 from decided to keep it together and sell it to me instead of using parts for his rockcrawler. On the other side of things, I did purchase an M1010 last year and gutted it to build a Suburban. I think at this point as time goes by, they will continue to drop in volume especially in the rust belt areas since the parts become worth more than the entire truck.

86m1028

I am curious what you are referring to. I am not in with the 4x4 publications these days. Thank you.
Teracoma summed it up pretty well.
I myself am guilty of parting out 50 or more of them over the years.
They are worth more in parts than complete & running.
Very few people that can afford them want them.

Prime example, a few years ago I had a really clean m1028a3 that I was trying to sell.
ZERO rust, pretty straight body, ran good, only issues were it was painted red & needed tires.
I could have easily parted it out for more than I could have sold it for running & driving.

Good luck on your search.

cucvrus

10-15 years ago I was scrapping out perfectly good CUCV trucks for parts. They were easy to come by and they are only mechanical things. I have a few nice CUCV's and nobody ever wants to pay for them. So I work them as plow trucks and off road vehicles. When I have an M1009 that is worth less then a Lowes quality John Deere riding mower. I will run that M1009 to death and feel no guilt. When I use one to pull fence posts/tree stumps and break things I feel no guilt. They are mechanical things in my eyes. They were designed to be used , abused and driven hard and put away wet. I maintain them but I don't sulk over them. Other people have bought many of them from me and a few return after they are done with them. A few are cut up and parted out. I was getting $2000. for a set of axles and $500 for a 400 turbo transmission 20 years ago. So it was a no brainer when you had a truck that was worth more dead then alive. Shame I admit but it happens everyday. I see it daily with new trucks getting cut to pieces all in the name of liability. I still have all mine original and un hacked. I smile each time I see a CUCV all hacked up and lifted with its tongue hanging out. They are what they are and will never be anything more. I still like them but that's as far as it goes. Peace man.

fitz

M1009 and M1008's and up are very hard to come by where I am located in runing and driving condition and hold their value well for sure!
Didn't you just buy a clean M1028 for $3,600?
There are still deals around, you just have to find them.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good ones are hard to find.
Took me months to find a rust free M1009 & M1008A1 for my girls from Uncle Sam.

Think about 10-15 years from now. How many factory original CUCVs will be left?
Very few I think.
Most customize theirs and a lot of them not in a good way.
Others simply trash/abuse them because they don't know or care about what they really have.

Ive put too much time and effort to sell for a small or modest profit.
Would even think twice about selling for any price

I use mine for ranch work.
Its always dusty and still wears faded OD CARC paint with some sand CARC peeking out.
Always have dogs in the bed along with the tools of whatever I'm doing that day. Usually chainsaw and fencing stuff.
Under the hood and inside are great and truck is totally rust free.

I always have people looking at truck and asking about it.
From the young carhop girl at sonic to the guy driving the $80k BMW etc.
Even more now that I bought and restored a M101A2 trailer to tow with it.

Point is, these trucks are unique and special and only a certain number were made.
A ton of them are gone forever with more disappearing everyday.

Find a a good one.
Repair it.
Love it
Use it

KEEP IT!!

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Up here the trucks are VERY hard to find , Canada only had 500 trucks in the system and only 1008 & 1010's , most were turned into plow trucks or messed with by Bubba, but they do turn up, I have 2 trucks that came north , a 1031 & 1009 , when they do show up for sale you need to be like a fat kid on a smarty, I still see lots of trucks for sale down south, the prices are climbing slowly, I will NOT sell any of my trucks,

goldneagle

I will have 3 of the M1008 trucks available for sale once Jeff brings them down from his place. I will have to go through them and do some repairs so I can sell good running trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks