• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wellman Glow Plug Question

90Jimmy

Just got my first set of glow plugs to replace the 7 that were not functioning for my M1009. Ordered a set of Wellman on line, they showed up marked Diesel RX. Called the vendor and he assured me that these are the same glow plug and they will not be marked Wellman. Can anyone tell me if this information is correct. After doing my research on this forum I decided Wellman was the best choice for my application and want to avoid problems installing bad parts. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

MarcusOReallyus

Just got my first set of glow plugs to replace the 7 that were not functioning for my M1009. Ordered a set of Wellman on line, they showed up marked Diesel RX. Called the vendor and he assured me that these are the same glow plug and they will not be marked Wellman. Can anyone tell me if this information is correct.

It is correct. I don't recall if it was a buy-out or just a name change, but it's the same plug.

After doing my research on this forum I decided Wellman was the best choice for my application and want to avoid problems installing bad parts. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Most folks around here recommend the AC60s, but either will work.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have fun with them.
Sure, they’ll work just fine, but their nickname is “Swellmans” for a reason.
The tips on those have a nasty habit of swelling, making removal a nightmare.

The ACDelco AC60Gs are self limiting and do not swell.
That’s the reason most guys have them installed.

90Jimmy

Ive been playing catch-up on this forum since before I even had this M1009. I appreciate the information and I know I have a lot tot learn and Fix. I will for sure be thinking and rethinking this Glow Plug decision. I do see that the AC60G's are more readily available and I'm sure it would be prudent to have some on hand. I'm not even sure I know what self limiting means....

dependable

I bought several sets of Wellmans when they were the ones being recommended over the AC-13s. They failed early, and some of them did have to be extracted because they had swelled. At some point it was claimed that that was a bad batch and problem corrected, I do not know.

I switched to the AC-60s and they have worked for me. They have a drop in resistance when they are hot enough for ignition, so they do not burn out as often, but may be a little slower to heat up.

nyoffroad

All I've ever used are the Wellmans for years in 4 different trucks, I've had some swell a bit but no biggie getting them out. I've thought about trying the 60g but never got around to it.

cucvrus

I just use AC Delco 13G glow plugs for over 20 years in multiple CUCV's have not failed me yet. A box of 8 at the GM dealer PN 5613939 about $100. I do have all systems hooked up stock. Seems to work out this long. No use in changing it now. I even converted a couple peoples back to stock and they seem happier with it that way. If mine don't start on the first few revolutions I am looking into it. 1 failed plug is all it takes to cause more problems regardless of what brand they are. I had problems with Wellmans but I extracted my fair share of A C Delco plugs also. Some in 10 minutes some in 4 hours. When they fail they are all equally worthless. Have Great Day. I have lots of new projects I am working on. The weather is the deciding factor. Spring is near.

blueblaze

Its funny, I've heard back and forth with the wellmans or Diesel RX plugs if you will. I bought 2 sets. One for a M1008 and another for a stock 86 K20 diesel. Both trucks had the factory working setups, sans the firewall resistor on the M1008 and both had glow plug issues in about a year. None of them swelled, they just stopped working. Not sure if I received a bad batch or something but at the end the M1008 had 1 working plug and the K20 had 2 working plugs. Surprisingly the M1008 still started at -5c after some cranking. Sure was smokey though. Now I just use the 60Gs and have had zero issues since and when people say the AC plugs don't swell, they don't. I left one hooked to a battery tester for 2 mins straight and it just kept on cooking.

nyoffroad

Its funny, I've heard back and forth with the wellmans or Diesel RX plugs if you will. I bought 2 sets. One for a M1008 and another for a stock 86 K20 diesel. Both trucks had the factory working setups, sans the firewall resistor on the M1008 and both had glow plug issues in about a year. None of them swelled, they just stopped working. Not sure if I received a bad batch or something but at the end the M1008 had 1 working plug and the K20 had 2 working plugs. Surprisingly the M1008 still started at -5c after some cranking. Sure was smokey though. Now I just use the 60Gs and have had zero issues since and when people say the AC plugs don't swell, they don't. I left one hooked to a battery tester for 2 mins straight and it just kept on cooking.

No resistor, that would cause the GP to burn out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks