• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Went to replace air compressor filter, what is this i broke? Pics

These filters seem to be very questionable haha

On a side note i did get my tire fixed. Took the guy about 10 minutes with a tire hammer and prybar it was apart and out in seconds. He said these rims are actually some of the safest split rings to work on because of the larger tire bead and the ring actually has a groove to lock in. Cost me $25 for the inner tube and $20 to replace, well worth it in my opinion

3rdmdqm

This thread got me curious, so today I disassembled my filter assembly. I do not have the filter which is pictured which looks like a solid cylindrical composite material. Mine was a rotund plastic frame resembling a gazebo frame which had very fine screen around it. Also found there is only one bolt holding the bottom on, the other must have fallen out. The screen filter was relatively clean. To get the metal plate out of the bottom, I had to take the top screw off and use a small rod to poke down through and poke it out. I'm guessing that is what that small square topped screw is for on the top of the filter housing.

Last edited:
Ive come to the conclusion that this part of the air compressor doesnt matter at all haha. it seems no two were assembled the same.

3rdmdqn is it possible you had the water fording kit on your truck? that would make sense that there is only a screen and it would use the air filter housing with a 3/4" tube running to it.

3rdmdqm

I don't think my truck ever had a water fording kit, but who knows. Is there supposed to be a plug on the nipple where a hose would have attached to the back of the air cleaner housing? Mine was unplugged and found out the hard way after mice got inside it and made a nest on the outside of the filter. Once I started the truck.....well you can picture the rest. Had to replace the filter obviously. What a mess. Also had to plug the hole. So if there is normally a plug there when no fording kit, maybe mine did have a kit and they just removed the hose but forgot to re-install the plug.

DieselBob

The ones I've seen just have the nipple on the air cleaner outer can with no cap or cover. No reason you couldn't cap it. It serves no purpose unless you have the fording kit and I really think I would re-route the air compressor intake anyway.