• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Went to super singles on my M923

RobM923

Swapped out the wheels my truck came with and put on super singles 395/85 R20 Michelins on HEMTT wheels. Though the wheels were new they needed a little restoring, I painted all pf the bolts and nuts with self etching phosphate primer and did the wheels in flat black.
Since I had the wheels off the truck I took the opportunity to redo the paint underneath and detail the suspension. The drums were also done with phosphate primer and finished with high temp black paint. I wanted the new lugs to be yellow cad but couldn't find them in that finish, so I purchased new lugs had them stripped and re plated in yellow cad. The truck came out exactly as I envisioned it and I really like the way it rides.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While the paint was drying, did you inspect and service your brakes and bearings?

Or, it just a static display truck?

RobM923

I checked one set of brakes and they were perfect, the truck only has 8,100 miles on it. Didn't see the need to pull off 4 drum and hub combinations that weigh around 130lbs. each just to look, especially since I worked on the truck by myself.
Not sure how to take the "static display truck" comment. I drive my truck all the time, I've put 1500 miles on it in the last 8 months, my truck looks the way it does because that's how I want it to look. The day I hear a wheel bearing noise or my brakes have a problem, I'll take it apart fix it, and if I scratch the paint...I'll re paint it.

Last edited:

RobM923

While the paint was drying, did you inspect and service your brakes and bearings?

Or, it just a static display truck?
I checked one set of brakes and they were perfect, the truck only has 8,100 miles on it. Didn't see the need to pull off 4 drum and hub combinations that weigh around 130lbs. each just to look, especially since I worked on the truck by myself.
Not sure how to take the "static display truck" comment. I drive my truck all the time, I've put 1500 miles on it in the last 8 months, my truck looks the way it does because that's how I want it to look. The day I hear a wheel bearing noise or my brakes have a problem, I'll take it apart fix it, and if I scratch the paint...I'll re paint it.

Vintage iron

Nice work. I always take the time to double check what the military did. You would be surprised how much they get wrong. but it is not for me to say what you should do with your truck. Enjoy it.

g2065g

What year is your truck? I am new but everyone seems to agree that the mileage/hours on the gauges are for reference only and do not usually indicate how many miles are actually on the engine, chassis or any other components. The truck I am buying has 32000 miles or so on the gauge but I'd imagine that isn't accurate either. Not saying you should replace anything just that doghead's comment seems like sound advice since you had the wheels off already.

RobM923

What year is your truck? I am new but everyone seems to agree that the mileage/hours on the gauges are for reference only and do not usually indicate how many miles are actually on the engine, chassis or any other components. The truck I am buying has 32000 miles or so on the gauge but I'd imagine that isn't accurate either. Not saying you should replace anything just that doghead's comment seems like sound advice since you had the wheels off already.
My truck is a 1985. Dogheads comments were stupid it wasn't sound advise, he could of simply asked if I serviced the brakes and checked the bearings. Didn't need to include "while the paint was drying" or "static display truck", those were stupid comments that I personally wouldn't make to another enthusiast on a board where we all share the same interest.
You mentioned the truck you are buying, since you're new I will share some of my experience working on my truck. If you are buying a 5 ton, I can tell you there is a big difference between pulling a wheel off and pulling the hub and brake drum off. And yes I know, they can be pulled off as a unit, if you have the right kind of wheel dolly. If you don't have the right equipment you will drag the rear seal across the spindle threads, so buy new seals before you start. Oh and don't forget to buy a 4 7/8 socket for the bearing nut. The wheels on a 10 wheel 5 ton weigh around 300lbs. each, the new wheel and tire combo I just put on weigh about 400 lbs. each, add to that a 130 lb. hub and drum assembly and you are pulling a heavy unit off your truck. Have fun with your new truck.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So let me get this straight, you drive a 20,000+ lb vehicle many miles a year, and someone asking if you have inspected the brakes system is "stupid" advise. Interesting thought process.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is "stupid" is, to assume that a truck that is 28 years old, has perfect brakes and bearings.

Also "stupid" is, to call a moderators comments stupid(read the rules).

Truth be told, I was very impressed with your paint and attention to detail, but I was wondering if you have previously inspected and serviced your truck. That's all.

There is no reason to believe a surplus truck is safe and sound to drive without a complete inspection from a competent person.

At the point of disassembly you were at, it may have taken an additional hour or two to just look at each axle(brakes/bearings).

Care to answer a stupid question? Have you at least serviced your air dryer?

RobM923

Nice work. I always take the time to double check what the military did. You would be surprised how much they get wrong. but it is not for me to say what you should do with your truck. Enjoy it.
Believe me I know, I was in the military. I always check my brake drums and hubs (among other things) after a long cruise with an infrared thermometer just to make sure I don't have any irregular temps. Thanks for checking out the pics.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can pull the dust covers off the backing plates and look at the brakes without having to remove the wheels or disassemble the hub assembly.

RobM923

So let me get this straight, you drive a 20,000+ lb vehicle many miles a year, and someone asking if you have inspected the brakes system is "stupid" advise. Interesting thought process.
Well, I think you should go back and read what I wrote....."Stupid comments" it was a legitimate question, sprinkled with left handed comments. FYI, the first thing I did was check the entire braking system of the truck, don't have to take the wheels off to check brake shoe clearance, etc. But that was like 9 months ago man, I didn't put the truck on the road yesterday.

RobM923

What is "stupid" is, to assume that a truck that is 28 years old, has perfect brakes and bearings.

Also "stupid" is, to call a moderators comments stupid(read the rules).

Truth be told, I was very impressed with your paint and attention to detail, but I was wondering if you have previously inspected and serviced your truck. That's all.

There is no reason to believe a surplus truck is safe and sound to drive without a complete inspection from a competent person.

At the point of disassembly you were at, it may have taken an additional hour or two to just look at each axle(brakes/bearings).

Care to answer a stupid question? Have you at least serviced your air dryer?

Well, for a "moderator" you chose your words poorly. You didn't have to include "while the paint was drying" or "static display truck", that just came across as un cool. so I will write it one last time.....i didn't think your question was stupid, I thought your comments were stupid.
Thanks for the nice comments on the paint though, I've spent a couple hundred hours on that truck and not just painting it either but fixing little stuff that didn't work. The air dryer is new. Thanks for asking.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I seriously meant nothing negative(uncool) by my comments.

Sorry you took it that way.

Hoefler

The word "advise" has been used or spelled wrong here. The proper spelling in the way the word was used here should be "advice".
Truck looks great. The cat fight- not so much.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do that a lot! dag nab it...