• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Went to super singles on my M923

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One more thought, your post reminded me of a deceased member(Lifer).

I believe he caught me at lease once, for the very same misspelling Miss him.

TacticalDoc

Well, for a "moderator" you chose your words poorly. You didn't have to include "while the paint was drying" or "static display truck", that just came across as un cool. so I will write it one last time.....i didn't think your question was stupid, I thought your comments were stupid.
Thanks for the nice comments on the paint though, I've spent a couple hundred hours on that truck and not just painting it either but fixing little stuff that didn't work. The air dryer is new. Thanks for asking.

My post was removed and I received an infraction for telling you about that rude comment made. Anyway, its a nice job. Keep up the good work. PM sent with contact info if you want to meet up for a convoy. I'm also Army (USAR)

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
hahha, yup(again)!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, all that discussion.... and not one word about all 6 wheels being off - and wood blocks stacked like this....??
wood blocks stacked.jpg wood blocks stacked2.jpg

Google for keywords like "wood block cribbing..."

G.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh boy...

I did want to make a comment on that but I was afraid to continue(to be misunderstood).

Recently while at another members home, we removed a tire from a 5 ton. We had little blocking available and compromised on what we used.

It was eyeopening to see the 4x4 or 6x6 block(I don't recall which it was now) compress under the jack. IIRC, it "squished" the block about 1-2". We them stopped and replaced it with something else.

The danger of the situation was nerve-wracking to say the least.

I like to use a plate of steel, on top of the top wood block, to help distribute the weight. I also try to always use hardwood.

Last edited:

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah on performance. I am adding a turbo to mine before I install tires like that but it would be nice to see a little more speed which you will most likely get

RobM923

Yeah on performance. I am adding a turbo to mine before I install tires like that but it would be nice to see a little more speed which you will most likely get
I'm curious about speed as well which I will have to check on GPS because I'm certain the larger diameter tires affect the accuracy of the current speedo. my speedometer use to read sixty with my previous set up. Also, from what I understand the SS tires are rated at lower speed the the dual tandem set up I had. As far as I'm conned 60-61 is fast enough for me, not sure i want to push a 22,600 lb truck much faster. The turbo would be nice though, especially for pulling hills, not too many hills in Florida but I would still like a turbo. Let me know how your turbo conversion goes. You doing a jake brake as well?

RobM923

Oh boy...

I did want to make a comment on that but I was afraid to continue(to be misunderstood).

Recently while at another members home, we removed a tire from a 5 ton. We had little blocking available and compromised on what we used.

It was eyeopening to see the 4x4 or 6x6 block(I don't recall which it was now) compress under the jack. IIRC, it "squished" the block about 1-2". We them stopped and replaced it with something else.

The danger of the situation was nerve-wracking to say the least.

I like to use a plate of steel, on top of the top wood block, to help distribute the weight. I also try to always use hardwood.
I had no problems whatsoever, though I was very cautious because of the extreme weight. I made sure everything was perfectly centered, it wasn't a problem at all. Plate steel sounds good but steel on steel is a little slippery for me, I prefer plywood on steel IMO. Anyhow, the truck is sitting on its wheels and nobody was killed:)) also, I didn't see too many options for lifting and blocking either.

Vintage iron

I want to thank Rob for keeping his head and defusing the cat fight . I have learned though my time here , that things don 't come out they way we want in writing. Sometimes questions and advice come across as being a smart ass. Very nice work and look forward to more posts !

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
How about we all step back and stop the bickering and tearing people down. It's Thanksgiving.

Safety should always be a concern. But it shouldn't come at people being at odds with each other over it.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rob Doghead is a great guy.Let me say one more time GREAT. He just comes off the wrong way sometimes in his writing skills, don't we all sometimes. I met him at the GA rally he was very nice and was a great help to me and my truck. I understand we all get a little bent out shape by someone's words, just try to remember we all say or write something that comes across the wrong way