• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Went to super singles on my M923

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now love your truck and the paint. Only you know your truck and can tell if it needs something done. Do not like the blocking you really should have went and got something better, no truck is worth your life or when a family member come looking for you and finds you crushed under your truck. Sometimes it takes a little longer, but do it safely and that by no means was safe blocking.

RobM923

Now love your truck and the paint. Only you know your truck and can tell if it needs something done. Do not like the blocking you really should have went and got something better, no truck is worth your life or when a family member come looking for you and finds you crushed under your truck. Sometimes it takes a little longer, but do it safely and that by no means was safe blocking.
i thought my blocking was perfectly safe, however, it wasn't my preferred set up but I really didn't see a lot of blocking and lifting options under the truck. The proximity of the jack to the blocks and the spring bracket bolts made it impossible to do a lot of fancy blocking. The blocks I used were 6x6 with a few 2x4 supplements and finally a piece of high quality 3/4 plywood to interface with the truck under carriage and the weight squarely resting on the blocks. It was no problem and it was super solid, somebody would of had to hit the truck with a car to knock it off the blocks. If you or anybody else have pictures of your 5 ton on blocks I'd love to see them, I'm always willing to learn. Thanks for the nice comments about my truck and I'm sure doghead is a great guy.

insas

Oh man, your truck looks sweet! I dream of making mine look that good someday... maybe when the kid's grown up or something. If you ever decide you need to paint another truck let me know! What tan/sand paint did you use?

How many inches do you have between the rear tires? -Should be about 2.5" more than on an a2 W/14.00r20's, right? It doesn't look it in the pics though. What's your ground clearance to bottom of pumkin with them? I've been tossing around replacing my 14.00's with 395's, for more traction. I'd gain 1.5" width, but loose 2.3" height I believe... Not sure how / if it would affect CTIs at all.

Thanks!

Carlo

Nice work. Nice paint prep and details. I would love to have you for my neighbor! I'm a little sloppy when it comes to paint prep and over spray.
In regards to mileage on the truck and things should be ok you should always expect the worse in maintenance. I have had bought trucks (direct ex) with 10 thousand or less miles and found things that make your heart skip a beat! Our trucks we get in Europe are not all maintained by the USA Army. I find maintenance tags from Mercedes dealers! The paint and body work is done by a German company called Carl Mosler GmbH. I have seen them use black silicone to patch rust and paint over! Never trust it must be ok because of low use with these trucks.
Again super nice details on your work. I could learn allot from you!

RobM923

Oh man, your truck looks sweet! I dream of making mine look that good someday... maybe when the kid's grown up or something. If you ever decide you need to paint another truck let me know! What tan/sand paint did you use?

How many inches do you have between the rear tires? -Should be about 2.5" more than on an a2 W/14.00r20's, right? It doesn't look it in the pics though. What's your ground clearance to bottom of pumkin with them? I've been tossing around replacing my 14.00's with 395's, for more traction. I'd gain 1.5" width, but loose 2.3" height I believe... Not sure how / if it would affect CTIs at all.

Thanks!
Thanks for the nice comments on my truck, I'm really proud of it, it's like having a life size Tonka truck! I paintel the truck with AWL Grip marine paint and primer, the color is "desert sand" and I had it mixed with a flattening agent. My new tires really aren't much bigger than my other wheels (11.00x20), I have 7" of clearance between the tires, 14.5" to the bottom of the pumpkin and 8.5" from the top of the tire to the bottom of the bed. The new wheels and tires are 4.5" taller (approximately) than the 11.00x20's I took off.

RobM923

Nice work. Nice paint prep and details. I would love to have you for my neighbor! I'm a little sloppy when it comes to paint prep and over spray.
In regards to mileage on the truck and things should be ok you should always expect the worse in maintenance. I have had bought trucks (direct ex) with 10 thousand or less miles and found things that make your heart skip a beat! Our trucks we get in Europe are not all maintained by the USA Army. I find maintenance tags from Mercedes dealers! The paint and body work is done by a German company called Carl Mosler GmbH. I have seen them use black silicone to patch rust and paint over! Never trust it must be ok because of low use with these trucks.
Again super nice details on your work. I could learn allot from you!
Thanks, I really enjoy working on it........ and I'm always doing something to it.

saddamsnightmare

December 11th, 2013.

RobM923:

Nice truck. I think Doghead back on page one must've been having an off day, as in situations like that he usually says "Search is your Friend"! So it might just be M923 envy. Just a question or two from my end, having owned a driven a much smaller deuce and a half.

When one singles out the rears on a M923, does one have to "flip" the hubs like on the deuce?
Second question: While I realize that you might have an easier time with the truck singled out off road in regards to handling, given the overall height of the tires on the wheels, what would the likely result be of a major blowout on the road? With the duals you would at least have a small degree of redundancy to buy you time to get the truck stopped safely. As they say in Texas "Curiousity kills the cat!"

In any case, Doghead and the moderators were, and are, trying to build an awareness of the condition of these trucks as they come off the surplus lots. Some are excellent, some are not, but the best way to know is to go over the truck(s) detail by detail. You would be amazed how many members on here do not know how to properly pre-trip their trucks, and even fewer know where to find that information.

Lately the 923 series have been getting sucked up because they are available and cheap, and yet for most members on here, and most buyers not on here, little do they realize the dangers and the costs associated with keeping these older military vehicles in safe operating condition.

I also find it interesting how we do love to nit pick, "Advise" or "Advice"...One can "Advise" another person, or one can merely give "Advice", depends on how far back you wish to go in the dictionary, and more certainly, which particular country's dictionary you are looking in for your answers..... Regrettably my spelling and grammar would not necessarily be correct for 21st century American usage, but rather 19th and very early 20th century Canadian and U.S. usages, so regrettably I can neither advise or offer advice on the matter at hand.

In any case do smile, then everyone around you will be wondering upon what you have been doing of late!:naner:
In any case, a very nice truck and have a good time restoring it.:beer:

Last edited:

RobM923

December 11th, 2013.

RobM923:

Nice truck. I think Doghead back on page one must've been having an off day, as in situations like that he usually says "Search is your Friend"! So it might just be M923 envy. Just a question or two from my end, having owned a driven a much smaller deuce and a half.

When one singles out the rears on a M923, does one have to "flip" the hubs like on the deuce?
Second question: While I realize that you might have an easier time with the truck singled out off road in regards to handling, given the overall height of the tires on the wheels, what would the likely result be of a major blowout on the road? With the duals you would at least have a small degree of redundancy to buy you time to get the truck stopped safely. As they say in Texas "Curiousity kills the cat!"

In any case, Doghead and the moderators were, and are, trying to build an awareness of the condition of these trucks as they come off the surplus lots. Some are excellent, some are not, but the best way to know is to go over the truck(s) detail by detail. You would be amazed how many members on here do not know how to properly pre-trip their trucks, and even fewer know where to find that information.

Lately the 923 series have been getting sucked up because they are available and cheap, and yet for most members on here, and most buyers not on here, little do they realize the dangers and the costs associated with keeping these older military vehicles in safe operating condition.

I also find it interesting how we do love to nit pick, "Advise" or "Advice"...One can "Advise" another person, or one can merely give "Advice", depends on how far back you wish to go in the dictionary, and more certainly, which particular country's dictionary you are looking in for your answers..... Regrettably my spelling and grammar would not necessarily be correct for 21st century American usage, but rather 19th and very early 20th century Canadian and U.S. usages, so regrettably I can neither advise or offer advice on the matter at hand.

In any case do smile, then everyone around you will be wondering upon what you have been doing of late!:naner:
In any case, a very nice truck and have a good time restoring it.:beer:

Hi Kyle, good question on flipping the hubs. No, you do not (and cannot) flip the hubs on a 900 series truck. A buddy of mine told me he flipped the hubs on his 5 ton so I was ready to flip my hubs around. Until I disassembled the first one and quickly realized that wasn't going to work, later found out his truck was a much older 5 ton. I was kind of disappointed at first because I wanted all my wheels to look the same on the truck but after removing the first hub and drum assembly I was relieved I couldn't flip them, not because it was a difficult task but because it was very heavy work for one person.
As for a blow out I don't know, I hope I don't find out either. I usually drive the truck around town and when I do put it on the highway I keep it under 60mph so the likelihood of a blowout is remote.....I hope. I would think if one of my rear tires blew out the other tire would still keep the truck fairly stable, the front is another story, that might be scary.
In short, my advise to you, is I don't advice trying to flip the hubs on a 900 series truck, it won't work.:naner:

take care, rob

Newbie288

gorgeous truck rob! what did you used to spray it? rattle can? airless sprayer? in any case it came out AMAZINGLY well. what was the brand of paint you used? is AWL the brand? im sorry if thats the case ive just never heard of it

RobM923

gorgeous truck rob! what did you used to spray it? rattle can? airless sprayer? in any case it came out AMAZINGLY well. what was the brand of paint you used? is AWL the brand? im sorry if thats the case ive just never heard of it
i used a HVLP spray gun and air compressor to paint the truck. The paint is Awlgrip, it is marine paint, I figured it would hold up really well and it does. Here is a link to for the paint. http://www.awlgrip.com/awlgrip-home.aspx

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks