• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

We're UP & Running Mep002a

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
THANKS, for all the help before, during and after. Followed all the advise, battery 51-R WalMart 62.00 ea., Fuel Filter Fram C1125PL Race Mart 5.95ea + shipping, Fram Oil Filter CH6PL 6.00 Tractor Supply, Air Filter Napa #2222 28.50. Took everything apart, cleaned, purged and started 3rd try after starter selenoid freed up. Why did I wait so long, these are sweat. Once again you guys saved me a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Bob.

Attachments

ClockworkSkin

I'm following close in your footsteps. I put some filters in today. Waiting on the 51r's to be restocked at WalMart. I have two of these that I'm trying to get going.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WalMart in Carlisle is were I got mine and they had 4-more on 10/09/10 and they were dated 9/10, pretty fresh. Make sure you take the fuel tank off and soak & clean, soak and clean, then purge your fuel lines, leave the drain open on the strainer for a few seconds. Also my starter was froze up, was able to work it free. Good Luck, It is a RUSH, when they FIRE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.:shock:

LuckyDog

Make sure you take the fuel tank off and soak & clean, soak and clean, then purge your fuel lines, leave the drain open on the strainer for a few seconds.
What did you "Soak and Clean" with?

I just got mine home and the tank has about a 1/16" of brown pasty gunk / sludge in the bottom. Haven't tried cleaning it yet because all my tools are at the cabin.

Just looking for the best solvent to start with.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Combo of regular gas, carb cleaner, let it soak, then drain, and did that several times. Also used an engine degreeser, did not let that sit to long. Gas and carb cleaner really seemed to work the best.

LuckyDog

Combo of regular gas, carb cleaner, let it soak, then drain, and did that several times. Also used an engine degreeser, did not let that sit to long. Gas and carb cleaner really seemed to work the best.
Sorry for so many questions. I just don't want to re-learn the wheel....

Did you mix the carb cleaner and gas, or use seperately and alternate?

How long did you let it soak before draining?

My plan:
remove all the attachements but the drain plug
scrape out as much as I can by hand.
then start the soak and drain process.

I also plan on having SEVERAL fuel filters on-hand when I get it running. Figure I will plug up a few pretty quick till everthing is cleared out of the tank.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just mixed the gas and carb cleaner together, pour some gas in and spry the carb cleaner right in and slush it around, let it sit then repeat. PS wal mart has the big cans of Gum out, it really seemed to work fine. Bob.

PeterD

Get a small bag of marbles, and drop them in, then slosh around your magic mix (described above) and the marbles will help breakup whatever is in the tank, and get it into suspension so it will drain. Once done pour the marbles out the fill hole (or just leave them in, they won't hurt anything.) :grd: