• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

West Kentucky Surplus

Autonomy_Lost

So I bought some of the fiberglass doors that West Kentucky Surplus makes. I've been looking at these for awhile, because in my opinion they are the only reproduction X-doors worth buying. They appear to be an exact (or close to exact) reproduction of the original X-door, even having interchangeable hardware.

Original x-doors in theory may be better, except they are currently impossible to find, and will likely have worn out seals, cracks, missing parts, peeling paint, etc. The idea of a factory new door with all new parts is really appealing.

So I found a guy on ebay selling a complete set of the West Kentucky Surplus doors, brand new and still in the original packaging. I worked out a deal with him and just received the doors a few days ago.

Three of the four doors are excellent. They are faithful reproductions and have the same feel and heft as an OEM X-door. They have a smooth finish, similar to what you would see on a new fiberglass boat. I do have a few small criticisms, but overall I'm impressed, and happy with the purchase.

The 4th door, however, has some issues. It was clearly made in a different batch, and has some real issues with the gelcoat. There are cracks all over it (spidering out from where rivets were installed), and the finish has sags and ripples in several spots. It looks almost like someone sprayed the gelcoat way too thick or applied it too late after mixing it (I'm not a fiberglass expert so just guessing).

On a whim, I decided to contact West Kentucky Surplus. Keep in mind, I didn't even buy the doors directly from them, but I figured it was worth a shot to see if they could do anything.

One phone call, and within a half hour I had a tracking number for a new door. What can I say besides WOW! That level of customer service is extremely rare these days.

I am sending the defective door back, but they didn't wait to receive it before sending the new one. Also, they guy I talked to (Adam) was very helpful and offered to walk me through the door installation process if I end up needing help with it.

Anyway, I dont post a lot but I really felt compelled to give them credit for providing a great product and even better customer service.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brandon runS that company like our grandfather would have ran it !! Everthing ive seen at his place is TOP SHELF OPERATION ! And he sold a thousand humvs and everyone there knows these trucks inside out so if your in the market you cant find a better bunch of people and they customise to any level you could want !

thoner7

How have these doors held up? Are they water tight? Door water come in around the seals and the windows?

Autonomy_Lost

How have these doors held up? Are they water tight? Door water come in around the seals and the windows?
They have held up well. They arent quite as nice quality as oem doors but pretty close.

As for waterproofing I havent noticed any water leakage. But I cant say for sure because I have roof leaks so my interior does get wet in spots when it rains.

If I wanted a non leaking vehicle I wouldnt have bought a humvee :)

Sjoconnor

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bought my M998 from Brandon almost 4 years ago. its a Ft polk JRTC truck. Super easy transaction. I wanted It in a hurry and Brandon said if he puts it out to bid at 1$ a mile to MA he'd get a bite. Got pics two hours later being loaded on a trailer. Had a couple small things like washer motor not spraying and erratic oil pressure gauge once I got it. Adam had replacements in the mail within an hour.

Stephen

signsup

So, would you recommend these doors over Federal Military steel X doors? I have not looked at price difference, but getting ready to pull the trigger on FMP tactical split X doors to drive with half doors down here in Atlanta. I have read that all fibreglass doors are imported, do not know who makes Western Kentucky's. But, it sounds like I need to research them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks