• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wet Interior

Navo

So yesterday evening thru this morning was rain, rain and more rain... I would say anything from showers -->steady --> big fat rain. So I just went out to the truck to see how much water was inside. There is of course a wet floor and a standing puddle on the passenger side. Good news everyting else is dry!

When I first bought the truck I noticed that the side windows when rolled up all the way left a gap of the top cornor. I tied putting pipe insulation on the top glass then rolling the window up as far as it would go but still left a small gap on the vertical side of the glass.

Is there a way to adjust the window so that it closes all the way? How do you guys keep your interior dry?

Thanks!

goldneagle

As far as I know the only way to keep the inside dry is to put a large tarp over the entire cab! 2nd way is to park the truck inside a garage.

I have never had any luck getting the side windows to fit properly. Usually had to adjust the angle of the front windshield frame by loosing the large wing nut on the corners and pushing the windshield back to square up the opening for the side windows. It's harder to do with a hardtop since the cab is stiffer and hard to maneuver.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The best I can figure is that the Army decided that since they weren't the Navy, and their vehicles don't have to float, it doesn't matter if they all leak like a sieve. :?

DeucesWild11

I was debating on looking for a "vent visor" that I could manipulate to fit on the top of the cab just above the window to divert the water away from getting in. One thing I did notice was that water was getting in around the seams in the back of the cab where it joins the bottom of the cab and also the seam where the back meets the roof. The rubber strip wasn't doing it's job so I just used some clear silicone caulk and went around the seam with it. That did the trick! Still get water in through the windows though..

Navo

I was debating on looking for a "vent visor" that I could manipulate to fit on the top of the cab just above the window to divert the water away from getting in. One thing I did notice was that water was getting in around the seams in the back of the cab where it joins the bottom of the cab and also the seam where the back meets the roof. The rubber strip wasn't doing it's job so I just used some clear silicone caulk and went around the seam with it. That did the trick! Still get water in through the windows though..
Thanks for the idea! I will check the hardtop where it meets the body and see whats going on there. I may run some silicone there just for the heck of it. Now that you said that, it was kinda wet behind the seats and the back of the cab.... So that seam most likely isnt working to well on mine either...

Heavysteven

The windows them self have stop brackets on the frames. Also, front windows that fold out can be adjusted as well. The screw that hold them up to have play in them. I think the bottom latch has play as well. I did all that and had to use some blue rtv in my front window corners.

Navo

My A3 has a hardtop. The front windows where they attach to the top has a good seal, no leaks there. It looks mainly like the top of the side windows that dont quite reach the top of the hardtop is where I may have the issue.... Im heading outside to look at it again...

DeucesWild11

Thanks for the idea! I will check the hardtop where it meets the body and see whats going on there. I may run some silicone there just for the heck of it. Now that you said that, it was kinda wet behind the seats and the back of the cab.... So that seam most likely isnt working to well on mine either...
While you are at it check the rear sliding window, Mine was all gummed up with junk and the weep holes to let the water out were clogged. That could cause it to drip inside too.

Navo

I can see where it might be coming in at the seam between the hardtop and the body. I will run some silicone around that edge later this week when the sun is out and the truck has time to dry out.

OH! and I think I found why there was a puddle on the passenger floor.... Lets just say, it helps if you close the vent next to your legs...:oops:

So with silicone added, the pipe insulation on the top part of the side windows, and *ahem* the vent closed... I think it will remain pretty dry.

Another thing... (Haha... Im a newbie, I will, or do have thousands of questions!!) I lifted the matting on the floor and noticed that it is kinda moist under that mat... And we all know that means... rust.

So with that said, I may try and take out that floor matting and maybe go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy some of the do it yourself rhino lining. Then apply a couple of coats to the floor to help slow down the rust and hopefully slow down future rusting then put the matting back in.

Woodsplinter

I replaced all the cab weatherstripping which helped a lot. I also use this cover which is for an outdoor love seat.
Got it at the coverstore.com. Has elastic at the bottom which keeps it from blowing away.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344452472.649109.jpg

Last edited:

KsM715

The best I can figure is that the Army decided that since they weren't the Navy, and their vehicles don't have to float, it doesn't matter if they all leak like a sieve. :?

"If it aint raining, we aint training" & "Embrace the suck" come to mind when I think about the water tightness of the cab on my M818.

I too employ the "big ol tarp" when I want to keep the rain out of the cab while it sits.