• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wet line 5 ton.

hedelta

While hauling a trailer yesturday I was wondering if there was a way to but a hydro line on a 5 ton tractor for lets say a dump trailer. Has anyone tried? Do any of the newer series have one?

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Ive done it before,Get a 5 ton trans PTO with a rear accessory drive.Come out of the rear drive to a shaft driven hyd. pump. I ve got a 5 ton PTO for sale.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
While hauling a trailer yesturday I was wondering if there was a way to but a hydro line on a 5 ton tractor for lets say a dump trailer. Has anyone tried? Do any of the newer series have one?
My new 5 ton quickly became a farm tractor yesterday. I suspect this will be the only farm truck with Hemtt rims, M66 Gun Mount, and 1600's used to haul manure spreaders and hay trailers. Seriously these are great trucks for the price and also I am glad we can help the local farmer who lets us hide trucks at his farm. John just needs to donate that PTO to me!!!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Either a tranny or a transfer PTO, running a driveshaft to a hydraulic pump would work well. you'd just have to make sure you had the right specs to make it work......... pressure, volume, etc.

A minor difficulty would be placement of the hydraulic resorvoir.

If it were me, I'd run hard lines inside the frame rails to the rear and have quick disconnect fittings like what a skid steer uses for various implements.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
a wet kit would be easy, use the 817 (dump) trans pto. you dont went a xcase pto in this case because you may need to pull forward finish the dump, eather marry a pump to the pto or shaft drive, one hyd line ((at least 1" id) goes to a quick connect on the trailer, you only need to raise, it will come down by it self, the hyd resorvoir could be put where the behind the cab tool box is. you will need to make some removeable brackets to keep the 5th wheel from pivoting side to side and from front to back, the trailer king pin plate pivots

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you will need to make some removeable brackets to keep the 5th wheel from pivoting side to side and from front to back, the trailer king pin plate pivots
This is something to think about. Dump trailers are bad about turning over anyway if you aren't dumping on level ground or material sticks on one side. The way a 5-ton 5th wheel is made is going to compound the problem.

oilcan

This is something to think about. Dump trailers are bad about turning over anyway if you aren't dumping on level ground or material sticks on one side. The way a 5-ton 5th wheel is made is going to compound the problem.

There are removable wedges built into the 5th wheel assembly to keep side rocking under control while on the highway.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There are removable wedges built into the 5th wheel assembly to keep side rocking under control while on the highway.
you need to keep the 5th wheel from pivoting front to back also , the dump trailer has a pivoting king pin plate, if the 5th wheel is not stopped from pivoting ti will pivot when dumping , putting a lot of strain on the king pin and latching jaws, the dump trailer is designed to lift from a flat surface, if the 5th wheel is not pined there is a good chance something will break with a heavy dump, this would not be good with the trailer up in the air

also, dumping a semi dump trailer is NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART,, you get side sway even on a flat, level dump, ,, thay will go over real easy if you dont know what you are doing and how to correct things as thay are happening

Last edited:

oilcan

you need to keep the 5th wheel from pivoting front to back also , the dump trailer has a pivoting king pin plate, if the 5th wheel is not stopped from pivoting ti will pivot when dumping , putting a lot of strain on the king pin and latching jaws, the dump trailer is designed to lift from a flat surface, if the 5th wheel is not pined there is a good chance something will break with a heavy dump, this would not be good with the trailer up in the air

There's another one to put in the "things I didn't know" file!
One of my uncles pulls a dump trailer... I think I'll go take a look at his setup the next time I see him.

Interesting stuff.

also, dumping a semi dump trailer is NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART,, you get side sway even on a flat, level dump, ,, thay will go over real easy if you dont know what you are doing and how to correct things as thay are happening
Ron, are you talking about frameless dumps?

all of the dumps that i have pulled have a fixed pin like any other trailer.

i'm confused but thats normal< >

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, he's talking about frameless dumps. A frame type dump would have to piviot front to back but you'd still want to lock it out from going side to side.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, back to the Wet line question and options. I just thought about this today. Would it be possible for limited use, to run a wet line setup using the power steering pump? I've seen guys make pickups dump using the PS pumps.

Any thoughts?

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
not enough volume with the ps pump for a large dump. back to side sway, even frame dumps get a lot of sway when stood all the way up and go over quick, get out of level or have something hang up at the top, next to the dog house, i bet you suck seat cushion

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm thinking for tools and trailer jacks. I wanted to mount a hydro winch to a trailer eventually. I guess I'll have to start looking for a pto and pump. I want to put this on my 818.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
trailer jacks would most likly work, might not be enough volume for tools or a decent winch, a small humvee winch might work, i think thay work off the ps pump

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks